· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been burning through the money I've saved up on plumbing bits. Mostly just from Lowes but there's been a few more specialized bits I've ordered online from aquarium vendors or hot tub supply companies.

It's a lot of fun figuring out how all this is going to go together... kind of of like a puzzle. A puzzle where you have to buy each individual piece. That makes it slightly less fun. Anyhow, what you see above is enough to go from the pump to the tank. I still need to get the stuff that will go from the tank to the filter, and everything that will actually go inside the tank.

Here is the sump tank, as it currently sits inside my cluttered basement, with the pump inside of it and the plastic boxes that will form the trickle filter inside as well. I wanted to do a sanity check and I'm glad I did because it raises some questions. The white PVC tube is attached to the output of the pump, as it will be when everything's set up (although there will be valves and fittings at that point). The fact that it has to go to one side of the center brace or the other upsets my sense of symmetry, but what can you do?

The white boxes will be raised up higher than they are now, they'll actually extend above the top of the sump a fair bit... hopefully this doesn't lead to water splashing around where I don't want it. I had thought that I would be able to face the boxes sideways, so I could pull out and remove the drawers towards the center of the sump, but clearly there's not going to be space for that. So I need to make sure everything's built up in such a way that the entire box can be removed when I need to maintain the filter. It's going to be tight. I'm anxious to get the tank back on the stand and the sump actually underneath it so I can fit check everything, but that's going to have to wait for a while yet.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Looking awesome. I can't wait for this thing to get flooded
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love big tanks and DIY stuff... this is so cool! take care and I'll be watching.
    Bug! the grumpy lady in the neighborhood...
    and POLLYWOG!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Big day today. Finally, after overcoming a pulled muscle, various other delays, and some kind of norovirus, we got the self-leveling compound poured.

You can see the framework I built up to hold the compound in, including temporary walls made out of cardboard to keep the overflow plumbing area clear. The operation went pretty smoothly except for one leak, and I was able to plug that pretty quickly.

So... did it work? It's too soon to tell. First, I'm giving it a couple days to cure. Then we'll put the tank on the stand and see if it's level. If it's not, the plan is to lay down and cry. if it is, I plan to add 30 gallons of water to the tank each day until either it's full, or the stand collapses (in which case... crying again).
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Got the tank onto the stand last night. The good news is it's very stable. Absolutely no wobble anymore. The bad news is, there's still a small gap between the tank and the stand in the back middle area, around the sump opening. It's not very big, perhaps an eighth of an inch. I'm hoping that's within the flexible range of the acrylic. I've decided to start with the test fill... 30 gallons a day for the next ten days (or maybe nine, since I can't fill it up to the overflow teeth).

Also put the sump tank under the stand so I can start dry fitting the plumbing. It's tight. Everything's tight. The sump tank barely fits in the stand, the filters barely fit past stand into the sump (so why not make the stand taller?), my head barely fits between the top of the tank and the ceiling (that's why not make the stand taller). I'm going to have to be very careful with the sump design to keep everything accessible and serviceable.

2 Not allowed!
    Probably too late now, but would a foam board between the tank and the stand help with the 1/8" gap in the back?....like the foam board insulation that is used on houses?...not sure that would be doable on such a huge tank, though
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    not a bad idea. You can get the stuff in 8'x4' sections so it would be no trouble. Obviously it will compress a lot... not sure how much of a help it will be overall. Hmm.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I can't remember if it was gronlaura or Hardy85 (maybe both) who recommended it for my 40 gallon breeder...it was explained to me that you don't want the tank trim actually touching the wood stand, because if there are any distortions or imperfections in the wood, it will stress the tank and potentially cause cracks or other problems...I just cut a piece to fit, and then used black duct tape to trim out the cut edges (my tank trim and stand are black)...worked like a charm, and looks good too, blends right in, barely noticeable

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    well, acrylic is a different beast than glass. It can and does flex a bit. I've been doing more research... the use of foam for acylic tanks is hotly debated. There's also lots of cases of tanks sitting flat on the stand when empty but not when filled, or vice versa. I think I'll continue with my slow fill and see how it goes.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok let us know how it goes, good luck, that tank is going to be quite impressive!

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast