· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 185 of 187 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 1870

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    The holes seem to be getting shallower, but also wider... is that normal?
    Shallower is good, wider can be common. Consider a cut when it heals, where it is a nice line, and over time the area seems to get larger (darker) as it heals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    After medicating the oscar for 18 days, I left Friday for a 5-day business trip. I had my wife feed the tank but did not ask her to medicate - we were nearing the 3 week time limit anyhow. Now that I am back, it looks like the holes depicted in the previous pictures are continuing to heal up but a couple more are starting further down the forehead. So... now what? I leave tomorrow for a 4 day vacation.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    have the nitrates been kept below 20ppm every day?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Can't say for sure. I did a big water change the day before I left and I'll do another tonight, but that's six days in between rather than the 3-4 I've been aiming for.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Are nitrates the contributing cause of HITH, or is it just that they are indicators of insufficient water quality, and something else related to water quality is responsible for the HITH? I'm looking into ways to improve my water quality. This include making water changes more efficient so I can change more water more easily more often, but I'm also looking at things that would remove the nitrate directly, like an algae filter.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    Are nitrates the contributing cause of HITH, or is it just that they are indicators of insufficient water quality, and something else related to water quality is responsible for the HITH? I'm looking into ways to improve my water quality. This include making water changes more efficient so I can change more water more easily more often, but I'm also looking at things that would remove the nitrate directly, like an algae filter.
    High nitrates lead to stress which then leads to HITH. Stress causes a reduction in the immune system. The protozoan (spironucleus vortens) that causes HITH is always located in the cichlid's gut. Once the fish has an outbreak of HITH, chances are high that it comes back again under stressful conditions.

The easiest thing to do is to reduce stocking of the tank to prevent nitrates from climbing above 20ppm every day. Adding things to reduce nitrates produced, when the water source has less than 10ppm nitrates, just makes it harder than doing water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    certainly reducing stock would be the easiest solution, but it's not my preferred one. I'm willing to put the work in to make the stock I have successful, I'm just looking for ways to increase my efficiency.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Brhino! Sorry to hear about your oscar troubles but it seems like he's on the path back to recovery.

How are you doing your water changes? Are there ways you can improve on this process to make it more efficient?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Have you determined how many days after the last water change that the tank reaches 20ppm?

Pothos with only roots submerged are the easiest way to reduce how fast nitrates climb, generally. However, water chemistry and indirect lighting intesity has an effect on how much/fast nitrates are removed.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Brhino! Sorry to hear about your oscar troubles but it seems like he's on the path back to recovery.

How are you doing your water changes? Are there ways you can improve on this process to make it more efficient?
    Hey, it's Spardas!

To do a water change, I drain the display tank until there's about a foot of water, then I drain the sump, both by using the python attached to a nearby utility sink. I turn the sink tap on full to use the venturi to pull the water out. Once everything's drained, I fill the sump back up, pump it into the display, and repeat until the water level is back where it's supposed to be. With the latest extra-large changes I do it takes about three and a half fills of the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Have you determined how many days after the last water change that the tank reaches 20ppm?

Pothos with only roots submerged are the easiest way to reduce how fast nitrates climb, generally. However, water chemistry and indirect lighting intesity has an effect on how much/fast nitrates are removed.
    The question about nitrate quantity is something that has been vexing me because I am honestly having a great deal of difficulty reading the nitrate color chart for the API kit. I know that if there's any hint of red to it I'm definitely too high but beyond that I feel like I'm just kind of guessing. That's why I would LOVE some kind of numerical display but unfortunately such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Pothos could work but it's toxic to cats and dogs so I'd have to be careful as I have one of each - although they're not generally in the basement where the tank is. Have you seen the algae filters people make? They "waterfall" water onto a mesh that algae is allowed to grow on and hit it with a lot of direct lighting. Supposed to be the fastest way to consume nitrates with vegetation. It looks like something I could put together.

Page 185 of 187 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 LastLast