· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 183 of 187 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1870

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    the 1:1 ratio is from the Seachem site, which they have claimed in the past, is more up to date.

http://seachem.com/metroplex.php

If the Oscar only eats one wafer, then that is fine. Have the Oscar finish off the remaining pellets, and then make more later on with the 1:1 ratio.

On a side note, nothing wrong with the Oscar only eating veggie wafers for the rest of his life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    The first ingredient in the veggie wafers is fish meal, anyhow. So he's not going on a purely vegetarian diet one way or the other.

Is there any way to get a rough estimate, based on the size of the fish, on exactly how much metroplex powder we're trying to get into him each day? If he predictably always eats one pellet, I can probably control just how much of it is stuck to that pellet.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a fish scale? The only issue is if he doesn't get wafer 1, and ends up getting wafer 2.

Edward J. Noga, in "Fish Disease - Diagnosis and Treatment", propose 3 options:
    - 25 mg metro/Kg of body weight/day for 5 to 10 days. Retreatment if needed;
    - 100 mg metro/kg of body weight for 3 days;
    - soak food in a 1% metro solution in a refrigerator for 3 hours and feed once
    My guess is the treatment time suggested by Seachem is lower dosage, hence the longer feed time.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have a fish scale. I did come up with a way of weighing my fancy goldfish back when I was trying to figure out how to feed them, and that was a traumatic enough experience for me and them. I'm not looking to repeat it with the oscar - you may recall that when I tried to net him to check his mouth for a blockage, I ended up with half a gallon of water on my clothes.

I was thinking more like a very rough estimate. Fishermen attempt to estimate the weights of various fish based purely on their length. For example I found one website just now that says an 8-9" bluegill would weigh about half a pound. That's probably a reasonably decent guess for the oscar. 0.25 kg, so the two metroplex doses you listed would be either 6 mg or 25 mg. The scoop holds 125mg so if I got half of that onto one pellet it was about 60 mg. I know some of it dispersed into the tank before he got it but all the same he probably got a higher dose than even the 100 mg/kg. The other six pellets I made would be more like 20 mg/pellet so depending on how well it sticks as those dry those might be more suitable.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    I don't have a fish scale. I did come up with a way of weighing my fancy goldfish back when I was trying to figure out how to feed them, and that was a traumatic enough experience for me and them. I'm not looking to repeat it with the oscar - you may recall that when I tried to net him to check his mouth for a blockage, I ended up with half a gallon of water on my clothes.

I was thinking more like a very rough estimate. Fishermen attempt to estimate the weights of various fish based purely on their length. For example I found one website just now that says an 8-9" bluegill would weigh about half a pound. That's probably a reasonably decent guess for the oscar. 0.25 kg, so the two metroplex doses you listed would be either 6 mg or 25 mg. The scoop holds 125mg so if I got half of that onto one pellet it was about 60 mg. I know some of it dispersed into the tank before he got it but all the same he probably got a higher dose than even the 100 mg/kg. The other six pellets I made would be more like 20 mg/pellet so depending on how well it sticks as those dry those might be more suitable.
    Sounds like the estimate is close enough. The soaking solution for the wafers has epsom salt, correct?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yes, still soaking in epsom salt and water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Today I dropped in a medicated pellet before the rest of the food, and the oscar hit it immediately. So that's 60 mg of metro yesterday, 20 mg today. When the regular food came in he tried some of it but spit it out. He seemed hungry so I dropped a second medicated pellet in. He tried that one but spat it back out. So we're still on the one pellet a day diet.

How soon should I expect to see some improvement? If I understand correctly the craters will remain but the white coloration inside them should go away and be replaced with his natural coloration... is that right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No helpful answer, but I'm curious...are the rest of the fish eating any of the medicated pellets?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yes, in both days a medicated pellet has gone into the tank and been uneaten by the oscar. Generally if the oscar doesn't eat it, it gets nibbled apart by the clown loaches. I've read that metroplex is safe for them, plus there are a couple other good things. First, the medicine starts dissolving away from the pellet, so if it's not swallowed wholly and quickly a lot of it goes uneaten. Second, since multiple loaches will pick at the pellet, no one of them is getting a full dose.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    Today I dropped in a medicated pellet before the rest of the food, and the oscar hit it immediately. So that's 60 mg of metro yesterday, 20 mg today. When the regular food came in he tried some of it but spit it out. He seemed hungry so I dropped a second medicated pellet in. He tried that one but spat it back out. So we're still on the one pellet a day diet.

How soon should I expect to see some improvement? If I understand correctly the craters will remain but the white coloration inside them should go away and be replaced with his natural coloration... is that right?

You should start seeing results in a week if he is getting the right dosage. Here's a study, where the oscar also had a bacterial infection in the HITH area, characterized by redness.

https://ijvst.um.ac.ir/index.php/vet...load/3950/2936
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-28-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Page 183 of 187 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185 ... LastLast