· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Brhino's 300g megatank

0 Not allowed!
    I. INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the journal for my newest aquarium, a 8 foot long, 300 gallon acrylic tank. This tank will be a real adventure for me. It's bigger than all my other tanks combined and it will require extensive work before it's ready for fish. In this journal I will document my planning and work as I get the tank ready, and then once it's up and running there will be pictures and tales of the fish I stock it with!
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you! I'm glad you decided to get the tank and am looking forward to seeing how the set-up develops.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    II. BACKGROUND

I have wanted a large fish tank for a while now. I like my medium sized tanks with small to medium fish, but I also wanted a chance to get into some of the larger aquarium fish - an oscar in particular. Eventually I came up with a plan to finish the basement in my house and include a fish room. I began saving for that plan but after a while it started to feel pretty unfeasible. The cost of the entire project was just so much more than what I could save month to month. So, I put that goal aside and instead just focused on getting a large fish tank. It will sit in an unfinished basement for the foreseeable future which is less than ideal but more fun than no fish tank at all!

I was planning on getting a 180 gallon (6'x2'x2') glass tank, but when I went to my LFS one day to buy fish food I ran into a 300 gallon acrylic tank. It was marked down to $600 (they would later give me another $50 off). It needed a stand, and a sump, and a lot of other work, but it was more tank for about the same amount of money that I was planning on spending on the 180 gallon.

Too many words, not enough pictures! So here's the tank in the store.

The folks here on AC were very helpful in helping me decide that its a good tank for a great price... so I bought it!
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    III. DELIVERY

You've just bought a 8' long fish tank. Great! Now what? Now you gotta get it home.

Tank in a truck. That's my head visible behind it.

I recruited a friend and my father. Dad's got a extended cab F-150 truck. The bed's only 6' long. Put the tailgate down and you're up to 7' 8". To ensure complete coverage, I bought a sheet of 4'x8' plywood (I'm sure I'll need it for the stand anyhow) to go under the tank. I screwed 2x4s into the plywood to clamp the tank down and threw some ropes around it, and away we went!

I had calculated the weight of the empty tank at 240 pounds but it seems to be less than that. Two strong men can lift and carry it without too much difficulty. Of course, there's a difference between carrying a tank down a hallway and negotiating this:

Q: How many spiders are there in this picture? A: None. They're ALL RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

The stairs down to the basement which are followed by the need to make an immediate u-turn with a ceiling that is less than 8 feet tall. It took all three of us, with a lot of tilting and turning and pushing and sliding, but eventually we got it down the stairs, around the corner, and into the basement proper.

And there it shall sit, waiting for me, until it's all ready to go.

0 Not allowed!
    I am excited.
    Nothing short of.

8 feet! Wow! thats twice the length of my tank!(well, almost)
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    SILLY INTERMISSION

This is a big tank. It's hard to tell from photos, but it's really big. I showed it to my wife, who was suitably impressed. She said she could fit in it, and did I want to take a photo?

She said if she dies I can have her buried in it. I told her that would be TERRIBLE for the water parameters.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    IV. PLANNING

Here's what needs to be done, more or less in order, before it's ready for fish:

A. Design sump/plumbing. (Don't have to build anything at this point but have to know the plan so that I can...)
    B. Design the stand. (...and make sure it will accommodate the plumbing!)
    C. Build the stand. (Assembly, painting, and finishing. Never done this before. Hope it turns out nice.)
    D. Buff out the scratches in the acrylic.
    E. Build the sump/plumbing.
    F. Design the canopy.
    G. Build the canopy/install the lighting.
    H. Determine stocking. (be doing this all along, really)
    I. Plan aquascape. (substrate, rocks/gravel, 3D background?)
    I. Install plumbing.
    J. Test plumbing.
    K. Install aquascape.
    L. Cycle tank. (will be done with media from other tanks somehow, just don't know the details yet since I don't know what I'll do for the sump)

And then we're ready for fish! I figure it'll be about six months to get all that done. It's not a real thoughtful estimate, just a rough guess. Money is usually the limiting factor for me. I've probably got about enough left in my August budget to get the stand started at least, and then we'll see how time and money goes from there.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Holy WOW
    what a great tank
    going to be so cool to see the progression and what you make out of it!

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank! I am looking forward to following your progress.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow that's pretty special. Curious to see how it progresses.