· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit's 40B

1. Default Kit's 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have another fairly large tank.

Also have a gorgeous stand for it that is designed for 50, 55, and 75 gallon tanks for a little under a hundred. It's typically about 190?

Marineland lighting system with night and day. Wasn't looking to do anything big plant wise.

It's namely going to act as the home for the rams, particularly the Bolivian Ram. His friend died sadly as noted in another journal and since then I've struggled to keep him healthy. At first I thought he might have worms like she did but I have not seen the same nasty tendril-like crimson menace poking from where the sun don't shine like I did her and I check often. He does however, suffer from an off-and-on case of hole-in-head. After many different treatments and attempts to help him, all had failed to completely clear him up. My assessment, going by how long this is taking(parasite would've likely killed him by now) is that he's suffering from his environment. This is clearly a much older ram who used to inhabit a 300 gallon tank; meaning, he's likely not used to the crowded conditions of the 50 he's in. Not only that but it's likely this 300 had lots of hiding places that my 50 simply doesn't have as it's mostly plants.

The 40B is being designed primarily with caves made from branches, driftwood, rocks, and so on. Pool filter sand is the substrate. Plants will consist of mostly low-light specimens such as anubias, java fern, and an assortment of crypts. The filtration is an AQ70 as I am keeping this one somewhat understocked purposefully. I'm either going with wysteria or some of my Brazilian pennywort which is grown out of control within my now 10 gallon shrimp tank(which I should make a journal for at some point :P) as some surface plants.

His tankmates will consist of two Pearl Gouramis(male and female), two German Blue Rams(male and female), nine Neon Tetras, ten Golden X-Ray Pristella Tetras, and five Albino Corydoras. In other words, a very peaceful and relaxed environment. All of these fish have proven to be very passive and enjoyable to have in a given space.

Learned a lot of hard truths in the 50 gallon that I am now applying to the 40B(essentially the same dimensions minus a bit off the height) and I'm looking forward to getting this wrapped up and the fish settled.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 04-11-2016 at 05:13 AM.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish
    50 Gallon| South American Cichlids
    26 Gallon Bowfront| Tetra/Shrimp

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Oh by the way, in case you weren't aware, never buy the 'all-purpose' sand.

Did that and I've had to spend many hours clearing out about 80 pounds worth of the stuff. Looked great in the bag but once submerged it became this saturated, gravely, nasty substrate that perpetually belches water pockets and dust when you move anything around. Double-bagged and cleared it out bucket by bucket. This time I'll be going to Home Depot instead of Lowes and getting the Quikcrete pool sand as mentioned above.

My tank looks like I had foamy chocolate milk in it. Pre-cleaning it does you little good too. It's just a bad substrate choice. Hell, it even has bits of wood in it!

Laid all of my decorations off to the side on a towel and took a cup to remove said sand/gravel and fill up my bucket about to half way. Then took that outside and poured it into double-bagged trash bags before repeating the process several times. Now I'm emptying the tank out with my python. Gather the bits of wood remaining. Will fill it up a again, rinse off the sides, and then drain once more.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 04-11-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I said, "To hell with it," and used my He-Man strength and lifted the tank out of my room, through the house, and out back where I spent a while rinsing it and the attached filter out with a hose.

Done.

Now just to wait for my car to return home so I can go fetch the pool sand and get back on target here. It is my hope that by late this evening or even into the morning hours I'll have it completely readied for transfers. I already have ceramics prepared that should have the bacteria required, especially with the extremely low stocking I'll be doing with this tank.

First however... I will get a certain, PITA molly that seems just unwilling to let go of this life through sheer hatred of all other things alone, to test it out. Not sure I'd like my already suffering bolivian ram to be the first guinea pig.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

4. Default

3 Not allowed!
    ...aaaaaaaaaaand a whole day later and I am finally filling the tank back up.

Yes, the pool filter sand by Quikrete is LOADS better. I could tell the moment I began to clean the stuff. It's all evenly sized grains. Light enough to readily work with but heavy enough to sink straight to the bottom.

Now we're back in the game.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

5. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Bolivian Ram, German Blue Rams, Pearl Gouramis, and Corydoras have been added to the tank.

Last couple of days the Bolivian Ram has begun to look a lot better. Much lighter in color versus dark. Eyes are clearer looking. Holes are still there but not as severe and I imagine might take a while to heal up, especially without direct aid. She is very active and even defends the cave I had made for her with zeal. Cories welcome. Pearls not.

Made a mistake on some of the first plants bought for it not really knowing what I was getting so tomorrow I'm going to see if I can't return several. I grabbed a Brazilian Sword, Mondo Grass, and Aluminum Plant; which turns out, are not aquatic plants. The Banana Plant(with the lily-like leaves), Temple Plants(hygro), and Frogbit(surface plant) are fine. Hopefully I'll be able to return them as it's a 100% fish store and it's likely they themselves are unaware of what these are. Suppliers tend to just throw stuff at stores with labels and little to no information. Probably just assumed they're fine like I did for an aquarium environment.

On my way back I will also be checking out another store for the Corydoras Sterbai as I am wanting a pack of 5 to put with my 5 Albinos. The one I tend to go to charges 15.00 a pop for them but I am almost positive I've seen them for about half at an even closer ma and pop shop. They also got some freshwater Golden Clams, Repens, and some other items that just came in that I'd like to see.

OH! Also bought a bunch of catfish and vegetable sticks from Ken's. Pretty sure the rams, cories, and pictus(in the 50) will love them. Ordered new glass canopies for the 50 gallon, along with a 10 gallon one for my shrimp tank from Foster and Smith. I don't think a 40B canopy exists that doesn't have the center brace so I guess I'm going to have to keep that one topless.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 04-15-2016 at 03:19 AM.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

2 Not allowed!
    I have a regular two piece glass lid on my 40B, no center brace.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Same here.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    If it's an Aqueon tank, you can use this

http://www.amazon.com/gallon-Breeder...eon+versa-tops

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Doesn't that make them prone to teeter into the tank though?
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    If it's an Aqueon tank, you can use this

http://www.amazon.com/gallon-Breeder...eon+versa-tops
    They're mad overcharging for that. :\ There's apparently an elusive Aqueon top(made by Aqueon) that would go with the tank is only like 20.00 bucks. It's glass too with the cut-out back.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish