· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A new start!

Talking A new start!

2 Not allowed!
    INTRO

Very happy to say after about 3 years out of the hobby I am restarting my Juwel Lido 120!

I am planning a dynamic planted community tank, I have had mixed success with planted tanks in the past but I plan to do it properly this time with liquid ferts and liquid CO2
    I hope people here can give me inspiration and advice on plants and maintenance
    Hope you enjoy watching my tank grow as I will be doing regular bi-daily updates.

THE SPEC

Currently rocking a Juwel Lido 120 [all white]
    Standard Juwel internal filter
    External Aqua one 440 with spray bar
    Limpopo black sand
    Wood and rock
    Juwel 24w x 2 T5 lighting, colour bulb and standard

THE PLAN... SO FAR

I have got some plants and ferts coming tomorrow so will show you the progress.
    Also as it is a fully cycled tank and established for years will be going down to my LFS to get a few starters!

THE STOCK SO FAR

4 x Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon Sword)
    3 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica
    4 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green

FERTS

1000ml Neutro T - Liquid Aquarium Fertiliser
    1000ml Neutro CO2 - Liquid Carbon

I wanted Vallis but sadly they melt with liquid carbon
    Let me know your thoughts so far and any ideas for other plants to help me out
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Congrats on doing so well at your new job! - Silbar Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year and I hope you Xmas was wonderful - Taurus 
    You need a ram for your breeding project :) - angelcraze2 No Message - mac well done - mac Thanks for the driftwood - KENR Thanks for the drift wood - KENR 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

2 Not allowed!
    Hey slap wanna move this over to aquarium journals?

I was going to suggest you start a journal for your tank on your other post about rams.

I assume this is the 120liter tank you were talking about.

Tanks aqua scape looks nice I like the rock piles and substrate.

How has this tank been cycled? You just recently moved fish out of it?? Or been feeding it with pure ammonia?

I spy some kind of catfish in the picture.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-13-2017 at 10:21 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry only just noticed there is a journals forum page!

Awards Showcase

Congrats on doing so well at your new job! - Silbar Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year and I hope you Xmas was wonderful - Taurus 
    You need a ram for your breeding project :) - angelcraze2 No Message - mac well done - mac Thanks for the driftwood - KENR Thanks for the drift wood - KENR 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

1 Not allowed!
    Well it is a recently emptied (of fish) tank. There is a featherfin in the back there and a BN but they were just being held there for a while for a friend, going to the LFS tomorrow

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    Cool just curious have to kinda get a feel for how you do things with so many new people joining not sure where there at in the hobby so to speak. Cycling is one of the main things that we run into issues with. :)

Which let me officially welcome you to the community glad to have you

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it hasn't been stocked particularly for a while so I am not going to rush and get much, really wanted to get it scaped nicely. Will probabyl go for a 4-5 Corys and a pair of rams and see how they go for a few weeks. Got my Cryps and swords coming tomorrow see how they bed in and ask for suggestions for the other plants :)

I would welcome your expertise when I update this weekend!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Just curious but are you using a liquid test kit or kits?

Boundava wrote up a awesome thread on C02 pretty much covers everything
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=124883

I recently got the Fluval 88g C02 kit hooked it up on a 40G tank and it's awesome in my opinion also went with the Fluvals drop checker.

Other than that the only issue might be lighting with T5's might have to upgrade if plants don't do well or go with lower light requiring plants :)

0 Not allowed!
    I am using API liquid tests, literally just did an ammonia and nitrite test, nitrite is fine just perhaps 0.15ppm ammonia.

Yeah I do have some compressed Co2 but compared to the liquid stuff I have (1000ml bottle) it is nowhere near as economical sadly

Oh really, I only just got theses two T5's (with reflectors) I know it doesn't always work out like this but isn't 2.5w per litre enough for most things? I am not going to try and grow any "red" leaved plants

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    All plants are different when it comes to growth and lighting but you will find out what works and what doesn't in your tank. From the pic it looks nicely lit.