· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default 55 Gallon Discus Haven Build

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all! It has been a little while since I've posted anything, but I've been working full time and just started my last semester before I get my associates degree in the spring, so I have been busy to say the least. But so as some of you may already know, I recently scored a 55 gallon full set up for free about 2 months ago! I was super stoked when I got it, and obviously immediately began scheming what I was going to do with it. After much debating, I have decided to turn it into the new home for my 4 discus, and potentially one or two more once the tank is set up. So, with that being said, I figured I might as well make this the start of my first journal since this is going to be a relatively important build for me. As of right now, all I have to show is the tank lol. But I will have much more to show in the near future

IMAG0587[1].jpg
    50g Jag tank - 37g discus tank - 30g discus breeding tank - 26g BF Angel tank - 20H guppy breeding tank - 20L turtle tank - 17g planted community tank - 55 gallon discus tank build in progress! (see link)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=120260

Awards Showcase

Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly For your new furry addition-no cats! - Boundava Happy Easter - steeler58 flowers for you, just to enjoy and breathe in. - RiversGirl 

3 Not allowed!
    I would suggest starting with 5 discus from the same supplier, you really won't have room for more than that at adult size. I would suggest starting with a bare bottom (paint the bottom outside of the tank with a sand colored textured paint) then you can add actual sand once you get the hang of keeping discus and their requirement for clean fresh water.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I like how it's a taller tank. Better for discus.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I already have four discus that I've had for about 2 years now, so I am no stranger to their care. I appreciate the comment though :) and I have also already discussed a little with discuspaul, and he said 6 at the most in this tank. I know it is usually recommended that they have 10 gallons per fish, but I am planning on getting a canister filter that is rated for much more than needed, so water quality will not be an issue. I have not decided for sure if I am going to get one more discus or 2, but either way they will be healthy.
    50g Jag tank - 37g discus tank - 30g discus breeding tank - 26g BF Angel tank - 20H guppy breeding tank - 20L turtle tank - 17g planted community tank - 55 gallon discus tank build in progress! (see link)

Awards Showcase

Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly For your new furry addition-no cats! - Boundava Happy Easter - steeler58 flowers for you, just to enjoy and breathe in. - RiversGirl 

1 Not allowed!
    Well let's see those discus! We're all about the pictures here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These pics are all from a while ago, but I originally started with my blue turquoise and my cobalt blue, which were in a 37 gallon by themselves, and then I was able to pick up my proven pair of reds for only $60!!! I had all four in the 37 gallon for about 2 weeks and then I was able to get a 30 gallon long for the pair. They have been in these two tanks for about a year now, but I have seen aggression developing between my blues, so that is why I wanted to move them to this new 55 gal and get one or two more with hopes of ending the aggression. These fish are like my babies and I want them to be happy :) lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize the quality isn't great, I only have my phone for pics lol

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the overall design for the interior of the tank:

55 gallon tank design.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=119794

Link to a previous discussion about my 3D background I plan to create

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Background egg crate (grid for florescent light fixtures) is cut and fit into the tank beautifully
    IMAG0604[1].jpg