· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Talking 50 Gallon Planted Community Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone, im new here but finally i found a forum that would let me post freely. So i have a few questions about a community tank that i am setting up. It is a 50 gallon tank, i have been planning and doing a lot of research around and still have a few questions. Current idea is 3 Flame Dwarf Gouramis, 3 Dwarf Gouramis, and 2 Golden Dojo Loaches

1.) Can i keep Kribs with a same sex ( female + female ) without fighting (i do not wish to breed)
    2.) Im looking to add 2-3 more 6" community fish, someone recommend a few? Has to be 4-6"
    3.) Should i get Plecos to help clean? i do have a 100 gallon canister filter
    4.) Do i even need a glass cleaner if i stay on top of cleaning it myself? My Loaches should catch most settling debris right?

I will post if i think of any new questions, any comments or criticism about this tank set up please do comment, thank you
    Last edited by zack857; 07-11-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy 4th of July! - Taurus Here's to the 4th ;-) - steeler58 Congratulations my friend ;-) - steeler58 For being selected a moderator - fishkeeper4 Thanks for the rep!! - afro123 
    Cheers to the NFL, starting in 8 weeks - Sandz Congratulations, moderator!!! - fishmommie Congrats Mr. Mod! - Rue here's to 10,000 don't ever slow down ;-) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - cm12setx 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zack857 View Post
    2.) Im looking to add 2-3 more 6" community fish, someone recommend a few? Has to be 4-6"
    Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't put any fish that can potentially reach a half a foot in length in a 50G tank, unless it were the only fish there.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    1.) Can i keep Kribs with a same sex ( female + female ) without fighting (i do not wish to breed) Yes

2.) Im looking to add 2-3 more 6" community fish, someone recommend a few? Has to be 4-6" Angelfish.

3.) Should i get Plecos to help clean? i do have a 100 gallon canister filter If you want, you don't have to have one, cleaning the tank is your job. If you do get one let your tank mature.

4.) Do i even need a glass cleaner if i stay on top of cleaning it myself? My Loaches should catch most settling debris right? No, you don't have to get a fish to clean the glass. Loaches should eat all or most of the fallen food, but they need to be fed to and not just expected to eat the left overs.
    If it's called tourist season why can't I shoot them?
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

Awards Showcase

Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    1.) Can i keep Kribs with a same sex ( female + female ) without fighting (i do not wish to breed) Yes

2.) Im looking to add 2-3 more 6" community fish, someone recommend a few? Has to be 4-6" Angelfish.

3.) Should i get Plecos to help clean? i do have a 100 gallon canister filter If you want, you don't have to have one, cleaning the tank is your job. If you do get one let your tank mature.

4.) Do i even need a glass cleaner if i stay on top of cleaning it myself? My Loaches should catch most settling debris right? No, you don't have to get a fish to clean the glass. Loaches should eat all or most of the fallen food, but they need to be fed to and not just expected to eat the left overs.
    +1 to the suggestion of angelfish. I would do only one.

If you do end up with a pleco, go for the bushy nose or pitbull pleco, but don't count on them as cleaners. There are other, more fancy plecos that stay under 5-6", but just avoid the common pleco, which will get too large. Plecos should also have some driftwood in the tank and a cave of some sort. Some will use the underside of the driftwood as a hideout.

Nerite snails are terrific for cleaning glass and plants of certain algae, but I don't know how the loaches would be with them.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for all of your reply' so think I'm going to go to my local fish store and pick up some Kribs or Angels, thanks again for the speedy replys

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    I have 3 Dojos and a half a dozen nerites-they are fine together, I have had an issue with mts and they haven't touched them. Botia loaches are more of the snail eaters/killers-never seen a Dojo go after one, matter of fact my mystery snail was cleaning my big Dojo off the other day-she seemed to enjoy it. Glad you are getting more than one Dojo as they like to "snuggle" with each other. My black kuhlis and Dojos often pile up on/around each other, it is funny to see.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, and female betta
    5g. pending tear down
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank:

Default Filtering Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone

So I am new to starting up my fish tank and I am no where near putting fish in my tank but i have a few questions.

1.) I bought a Cascade 1000 External Filter for my 50 gallon tank, I set it up after watching a few videos and reading the instructions it was pretty self explanatory, but my water still seems to have a greenish tint to it and the water is slimy (probably from the API Stress Coat i added last Thursday), i have floss, a Coarse Sponge, and Carbon in the filter, what else should be in the filter to aid in fish health and clearer water?
    2.) I have a spray bar for my exhaust for my filter, is there too much water movement? should i remove a bar (i have 3 bars with 5 holes each) since the filter is regulated for a 100 gallon?
    3.) Should i go buy some filter media? if so what brand
    4.) What order should my trays be set up? i have 3 trays
    5.) Will the LEDs in my light that im going to get give the water a clearer look? am i just seeing the natural color of the water ive put in (tap water)?

Thank you for all of the reply's, i really hope nothing is wrong, keep in mind that i am new to having a larger aquarium im used to just having beta fish lol

-Zack

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof 

3 Not allowed!
    Not familiar with this canister filter.

Do you have an bacterial media in this filter? Many like the Fluval ceramic rings, I have used Seachem Matrix for over 20 years with no problems-never breaks down. Usually media is set up with water passing first through the mechanical media (sponges), then bacterial (ceramic rings or the Matrix) and finaly chemical (i.e carbon, Purigen, Renew; that's if you choose to have chemical). You do not need carbon in your filter. Carbon is used by many only to remove medications from your tank. you can take advantage of the extra space to add more bacterial media (i.e. ceramic rings/balls) which your filter hopefully came with.

On a different note, I have a couple questions to help figure out why your water is poor.

1. why did you add the stress coat to a tank without fish? (Don't really need stress coat, just a water conditioner like Seachem Prime).
    2. is the filter up and running right now?
    3. water movement shouldn't be what is causing problems to your clarity.
    4, did you recently add any substrate (i.e. sand gravel, dirt) to the tank?
    5. is the tank near a window/does it get a lot of light?
    6. how long has the tank been set up, it may just be algae (greenwater) which will eventually go away.
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. pending tear down

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank:

0 Not allowed!
    Well Boundava, i added the stress coat to the tank because it is a mix of both dechlorinator and medical things. Yep the filter is up and running as of last Thursday. Ive added a black fine grained sand substrate and i cleaned it to the best of my ability because my hose pressure was lifting the sand up and out of my bucket so i was losing quite a bit. The tank is in my room maybe 6-8ft away from a window that is nearly always in the sun. The tank has been set up for exactly a week because i have been allowing it to cycle before i added any lights or heaters.

Thank you for the speedy reply :)

P.S. this tank is not planted and will just have artificial rocks and decor in it, i dont know if that would make a difference
    Last edited by zack857; 07-24-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    So have you been adding ammonia to the tank, and do you have bacterial media in the canister? Don't think the substrate would be affecting the clarity after a week with a filter. The stress coat has aloe vera so may explain the slimy water, but I think you would have had to add a lot to make the water slimy to the touch. I haven't used this product so not sure what the water quality is like after using it.

Can you get a photo of the tank, if its greenwater it would look close to this:
    green h2o.jpg

Cloudy tank would be milky opaque water and could be from a bacterial bloom or suspended particles.
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-24-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    5g. pending tear down

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank: