· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Lee's aquatic antics

1 Not allowed!
    So I decided to start a journal. Eventually.

Right, I guess I'll start at the beginning then.

After several months of discussing what sort of pet would suit our flat as well as both of us, on the 10th of April my boyfriend decided to surprise me with a Daro starter kit which included a 25 litre tank. I had a brainwave and scavenged what equipment was left in the attic from my dad's 100 litre tank (sold long ago): among other things a heater and a combined submersible pump and sponge filter.

Being the enterprising person that I am I decided to skip the cold water fish. I set up the starter kit, and added the scavenged heater (I set the pump filter aside for when (not if!) I got a bigger tank). I put in a few live plants first, then after about 2 weeks I added my first fishies: 6 silvertips and a CAE. I should probably mention here that at the time I had no idea what cycling was, and just did what the LFS person (she keeps angels of her own so not just a salesperson) said would be fine. In hindsight that sounds like a bad idea but it seems to have worked pretty well. I was just so eager to get started that I didn't take enough time doing my research beforehand. I know better now. After a while I replaced the starter pump for a quieter one, and swapped out the starter filter (corner filter with wool and charcoal) for a sponge one (filled with ceramic). Somewhere along the line I added the 2 rams, which were a bit of a "love at first sight" impulse buy. Now I really had a reason to find a bigger tank. Then my CAE died, which was my fault, but at least I learned from it.

And now the reason I started this journal. Today I finally bought a 100 litre tank, which I found in the local classifieds. It came with a stand, canopy, and light. Perfect! I already have an adequate heater and pump filter, so all I need is a thermometer and everything that goes inside the tank. I bought some black sand to use as substrate, and I plan on using some of my current plants to start a bedding. I scrubbed the tank thoroughly (with water only) and now I'm writing out what I want to do.

Before anything else, I'm going to find a replacement heater more suited to my little tank, and let the sponge from the filter for the big tank sit in my little one for a few days to seed it with nitrifying bacteria. I'm also going to boil that driftwood I've been talking about which has been soaking for months now. Then first of all I'm going to check the new tank for leaks. Then I'm going to rinse the sand and put that in. Then I'm going to do some decorating with plants and the DW. Then comes the obvious step of putting in filter and heater and filling with water. After that I figure I should let it run fish-less for a bit while the nitrifying bacteria proliferate. Would it be a good idea to put water taken from the old tank during PWCs into the new tank to feed the bacteria?

And then of course once the tank is ready I'll check that the parameters are compatible and start transferring fish across. I already have a few ideas for stocking. I want to go according to an Orinoco basin theme, which means I'll probably sell the silvertips. More on that later. The little tank I'm still undecided on, but I definitely want to keep it running. I was thinking of breeding brine shrimp in it so I have a cheap and plentiful source handy. Like that it could also double up as a quarantine tank if one of my fish gets sick, since diseases are unlikely to cross the species barrier, much less leap across phyla.

All feedback (including comments, opinions, questions, criticisms, etc.) is extremely welcome!
    You should probably know, I like to be silly and don't take myself too seriously; if something I said sounds offensive, you can safely assume I was joking. Feel free to respond in kind, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

I'm a beginner and I'm here to learn, so if you see me doing something wrong, I'd like to hear about it please. That said I'm a huge nerd and I like to over-prepare, so unless it's obvious I haven't, you should take it I already did my research.

Awards Showcase

Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Please read up on cycling a tank, in the links below. One is for a tank without fish (preferred) and one is for a tank with fish (hard on the fish and the hobbyist). There is no need to transfer water from your existing tank to the new tank. The beneficial bacteria lives primarily in your filter media, and perhaps to a lesser extent on tank decor.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, but I've already read that and a fishless cycle is precisely what I plan to do. When I mentioned transferring water I was thinking of the ammonia content, not the actual bacteria. But if it's too low in proportion to be any use then I'll rather use it to water some plants.

0 Not allowed!
    (Sorry, post above was me failing at Tapatalk.)
    You should probably know, I like to be silly and don't take myself too seriously; if something I said sounds offensive, you can safely assume I was joking. Feel free to respond in kind, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

I'm a beginner and I'm here to learn, so if you see me doing something wrong, I'd like to hear about it please. That said I'm a huge nerd and I like to over-prepare, so unless it's obvious I haven't, you should take it I already did my research.

1 Not allowed!
    Substrate has been rinsed and placed into the tank. I also acquired the materials for and made a sliding glass lid to minimise condensation inside the canopy - I hate it when it drips everywhere. Now I just have to finish revamping the stand and I can set up up the tank to start getting the nitrogen cycle going.
    Last edited by Leeward; 08-01-2015 at 06:33 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Today I finished modding the stand, did some aquascaping (plants and stones from the other tank), and set up the airstone and pump filter. I put some of the ceramic from my small tank's filter into the basket within the sponge of the filter for the new one. Unfortunately the impeller seems a bit erratic, so I'm going to let it dry and put some petroleum jelly on the inner mechanism. In the meantime I'll let the sponge and ceramic soak in the new tank, and leave the airstone running.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 It is a delight to see you! - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! - Anders247 T.G.I.F. - cm12setx TGIF, you are sorely missed! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy 3 year anniversary - fishmommie Happy Anniversary to the BEST terta guy I know! - Taurus Happy 3rd! - Rue No Message - Boundava For your 3 year anniversary - Boundava 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Another Lee , I can't wait to see this tank up and running ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 
    Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What are the dimensions of your tank?
    If it's called tourist season why can't I shoot them?
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Another Lee , I can't wait to see this tank up and running ;-)
    Thank you! I can't wait to see it either... I want to go fish shopping already!

Leeward (Lee for short) is actually just my screen name but I like to call myself that among my online friends because my real name (Michelle) is very common.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    What are the dimensions of your tank?
    900mm long x 320mm wide x 330mm high, filled to about 80 litres.

Awards Showcase

for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 
    Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    That's a nice long tank, you will have lots of options for fish.
    If it's called tourist season why can't I shoot them?
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?