· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Kit's South American 90

2 Not allowed!
    I almost left the hobby. Dismantled my 40B. Dismantled one of my 10's. Had my 58 cleared of fish and ready to finish off as well.

...Then I got new work. New motivation. Began to reconstruct my 58 around the concept of holding African cichlids. Fake plants. Holey rock. So on and so forth. However, I feel my LFS may have misguided me a bit or alternatively, have had success with the combinations they're giving me but all the same tend to be questionable pairings for many; therefore a bit of a risky proposition that maybe should be nipped in the bud now rather than later.

58's stock is currently as follows: 5x Yellow Labs, 1x Flame Tail Peacock, 3x Lamp Brichardi, 1x Bumble Bee Cichlid, 1x Red Tailed Black Shark, and 1x Bristlenose Pleco. All are juveniles at the moment save for the bristlenose.

My friend is getting rid of his 90 gallon Discuss tank. Fish being sold separately. This means I'll have to rehouse and move fish around as I don't really want to run more than one major tank and maybe a 10 or so off on the side. That allows an opportunity to rehouse certain specimens with my LFS more readily and comfortably as they already needing to be moved and shifted around as is for such an exchange.

I would appreciate advice and thoughts on how best to stock this incoming 90 for African cichlids.

We can go purely one lake(even then with Malawi we have to consider haps v mbuna) or try a more risky mix of tamer species from more than one lake(much like how it is currently). I've even wanted to throw in an oddball like a Zig Zag Eel but ANY deviation from a pure, one-lake, cichlid focused tank concerning African cichlids causes Aqadvisor to flip its lid regardless of which lake I emphasize.

Filtration will be 2x Eheim 2217's. The decor mostly fake with some real wood and rock mixed in. An anubias or two. Black sand as I tend to prefer.

...If you haven't figured it out, community tanks don't really interest me much these days. It's part of why I nearly got out of the hobby. I really wasn't feeling my stocks.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish
    50 Gallon| South American Cichlids
    26 Gallon Bowfront| Tetra/Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year and I hope you Xmas was wonderful - Taurus You need a ram for your breeding project :) - angelcraze2 No Message - mac well done - mac Thanks for the driftwood - KENR 
    Thanks for the drift wood - KENR for the metal head in you, rock on! - Hockey nut Good Sunday to you ;-) - steeler58 It was either this or beer - Taurus Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you. xD

Jumping around jobs. Money depleting. Having issues with my stocks. Dealing with a lot of mental instability(I'm fine now I'm not entirely sure what went on there for a while though with me). It all just brought me down and I was coming around less and less while simultaneously losing interest in the hobby.

I'm back though and feeling pretty good. Just need to get this 90 in and pin down exactly what's going inside. Hopefully we have a couple of cichlid experts around here that can give me some personal insight rather than find myself relying entirely on Aqadvisor or my LFS, one of which I feel is a bit too rigid and the other maybe too loose. ;p
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome back to the AC, and good luck with the new setups.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe Successful heater transitions - RiversGirl Thanks for catching my mistakes! - Rocksor Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58 
    You paved the way! - RiversGirl For your concern while I was away! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 For guessing the right date ;-) - steeler58 Good Sunday to you ;-) - steeler58 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar 

4 Not allowed!
    It's good to hear that you are doing better and still in the hobby. I hope this year will be a great one for you and your fish. Sadly, I have no knowledge on cichlids to share...but others will, I'm sure.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Noticed you had South American cichlids in your sig, do you have hard water and higher ph out of the tap? I don't like to rely on holey rock to get the rigt water chemistry for African cichlids.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Noticed you had South American cichlids in your sig, do you have hard water and higher ph out of the tap? I don't like to rely on holey rock to get the rigt water chemistry for African cichlids.
    8.0 out of the tap but I need to rethink this as he also gave me his discuss, sae, etc... significantly changes matters.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

Awards Showcase

Happy new year! - Brookfish Happy New Year! - The Red Severum Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins Welcome back - mommy1 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 
    Thanks for the Rep and compliment ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 For letting me keep the Cory's! - TexChuck a never ending coffee salute - Hockey nut No Message - SueD 

1 Not allowed!
    Great news that you are able to stay in the hobby. And that everything is coming right for you. Its not nice at all when work/life throughs a bad curve ball.
    I personally had very limited to do with the Malawi set up. My thing is Tanganyika. Looking forward to watching the journal and participating in all the conversations that will flow.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Great news that you are able to stay in the hobby. And that everything is coming right for you. Its not nice at all when work/life throughs a bad curve ball.
    I personally had very limited to do with the Malawi set up. My thing is Tanganyika. Looking forward to watching the journal and participating in all the conversations that will flow.
    Thank you very much.

...Again though, he threw a wrench into my plans. Instead of selling his fish separately he gave them all to me. So now I have a tank with 4x Discus, 1x Denison Barb, 6x SAE, 4x Lazer Cory, and 1x African Butterfly Fish. I don't have the heart to rehouse them, especially the discus. So I'm considering bumping up the Discus +1 and the Barb by +4 and possibly leaving things at that; though I might rehouse 3x the SAEs(6x is just massive overkill) and get a bunch more cories.

So my current cichlids will have to remain in the 58 and I'll probably just watch, observe, and see if they can tolerate one another.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post
    Thank you very much.

...Again though, he threw a wrench into my plans. Instead of selling his fish separately he gave them all to me. So now I have a tank with 4x Discus, 1x Denison Barb, 6x SAE, 4x Lazer Cory, and 1x African Butterfly Fish. I don't have the heart to rehouse them, especially the discus. So I'm considering bumping up the Discus +1 and the Barb by +4 and possibly leaving things at that; though I might rehouse 3x the SAEs(6x is just massive overkill) and get a bunch more cories.

So my current cichlids will have to remain in the 58 and I'll probably just watch, observe, and see if they can tolerate one another.
    They're here and setup. I still need to remove the gravel, add PFS, and do some decor work but I'll get pictures up before the end of the day.

Unfortunately all of the fish had to be put into the tank. Nowhere to temporarily house them. So they'll have to deal with me doing that while present.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast