· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Default Kit's 55 Gallon Journal

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, you read right. I've put a 55 gallon, with stand, glass top, and a free Emperor 400 filtration system on layaway with my LFS.

My down payment of 100 was laid down today, I have a little over 200 more to go. So I should have it by the end of November, beginning of December; though if I shuffle things around I might even have it as early as the week after next.

My Angelfish, 9 Tetras, 3 Corydoras, and 1 BNP will be going into it along with my Assassin Snails.

Outside of that, little to nothing in my current tanks is moving over. So if you guys want to provide me ideas for plants, substrate, equipment, and additional fish I'd love nothing more than to hear your ideas. I'm super excited right now. I'm of course going to get a picture of the tank, empty, once it arrives. Then take more as I gradually build it up. Then once this is done, I'll eventually get back to my plans for the 26 Bowfront in my other journal.

Finally, I will have my first, non hand-me-down tank! A chance to start from the ground up.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 10-22-2015 at 08:43 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Note: Good chance I'll be replacing the 400 and going to an AC unit. Upon reviewing, once the 55 is fully stocked or beyond, the Emperor won't quite cut it.

Guess I'll have an Emperor 400 lying around!

3 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new set-up!

I'd throw a canister filter on a 55G, as well as an HOB backup
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Congrats on the new set-up!

I'd throw a canister filter on a 55G, as well as an HOB backup
    Got any idea how I should approach my substrate, plants, and lighting this time? I'd really prefer to build an ecosystem that can thrive in higher pH, 78 degree water. Felt my projects in the 26 didn't end so gewd for me.

Trying to plan everything out beforehand. Really build this thing up proper.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert with the plants, I just bought a beginner package that became a jungle.

Get PFS for substrate and a nice LED for lighting

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Just because I learned how to give a gift - AmazonJoe For being a good sport! - Slaphppy7 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava 
    Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats!!

If you want to keep your budget low, here are some ideas.

Finnex Stingray LED 48" - I have one on my 55g and all my plants are growing just fine with it. You can pick one up from Amazon for $60-70 if you have Prime membership. Prime is free for 30days, just remember to cancel before the trial is up :) The Stingray is probably the cheapest LED for a large tank that is healthy for plants and has strong enough light to penetrate down to the bottom (55s are tall).

Quickrete pool filter sand - $5-6 for a 50lbs bag from Home Depot. You'll need about one and a half bags if you want 2-3" of substrate. I like deep beds, so I made a 4" bed in mine and still had a little bit of sand left over from two bags. You will need root tabs for PFS, though. It's completely devoid of nutrients. For $20 you can get a 40-count bag of Flourish tabs. Depending on how many heavy root plants you have, you shouldn't need more than 10-15 to start you off, and they last for months. I'd assume a $20 bag (from Amazon) would last you close to a year even if you had tons and tons of plants.
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Aquascape - Journal
    10 gallon - Betta, shrimp, and mystery snail

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Just because I learned how to give a gift - AmazonJoe For being a good sport! - Slaphppy7 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava 
    Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    For plants, load up on swords and crypts. Both are fairly hardy and do not require high lighting. Some anubias will also look nice, but you'll need to get rocks or driftwood to tie those off as you can't bury the rhizome.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    For plants, load up on swords and crypts. Both are fairly hardy and do not require high lighting. Some anubias will also look nice, but you'll need to get rocks or driftwood to tie those off as you can't bury the rhizome.
    Hmm, very well. Maybe get a bunch and plant then thickly along the back. What do you recommend for a groundcover? I've so far found that Dwarf Hair Grass and Dwarf Sagittaria grow great.

Pool filter sand, huh, cheap and interesting route to go. I like it. Any black options out there of a similar stripe?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    You will need root tabs for PFS, though. It's completely devoid of nutrients.
    Tell that to my jungle, lol.....I don't use ferts at all

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I've had great experience with Black Diamond Blasting Sand, for a black substate. $10 for 50lbs bag. A bit hard to find, though. If you have a TractorSupply nearby, you can get it from them. I don't know of any other distributors. You can order online, but the cost of shipping is very high. Better off buying black aquarium sand if that's the case.

I haven't tried much in terms of carpet plants in my 55g. I have chain swords right now, but they're definitely the slowest growers in the tank at the moment. I think you'll need a light with more oomph than the Stingray if you want good growth from carpets. My swords and crypts have all doubled their leaves over the last 4 weeks. The chain swords.....not so much :P Like I said, the 55s are tall, so lights lose a lot of PAR by the time they reach the surface. If you want a good carpet, I'd suggest springing for a stronger light such as te Finnex Ray2 or a Planted +

With stronger light, though, algae can quickly get out of control if you don't find the right balance of nutrients and carbon (CO2/Excel).
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 10-22-2015 at 09:56 PM.