· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with another 'centerpeice' fish!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, have been MIA on here in a while, but fishtank is still going strong!!!

I've got a 35g tank, running a Fluval 305 and a AC HOB filter. Tank is well planted...

Stocking is currently 6 zebra danios, 3 (maybe 4) Male Guppies and 3 Pristella Tetras.

I have been thru about 3 different gourami's now... they do well for several weeks, then they just stop eating, look emaciated and die. Even tried moving the last one to a smaller tank to coax it to eat...but they are just not working for me. I've tried the dwarf and a three spot, both varieties have been goners for me. Been doing a lot of reading and apparently they are getting as bad as Neon Tetras for dying on people lol.

I'd like to get a larger, 'centerpiece' style fish. Just at a loss, love Angels, but can't keep them with my guppies, and not sure I can do Rams or not in this tank.

Also, would love to up my Tetras, but can't find them anywhere around her, and LFS last few orders have fallen through!
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe try getting your gourami from a different store? Maybe an online store? Or a breeder?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    What's your water chemistry like? If your pH is less than 7 I'd definately recomend either a Ram or an Apistogramma.

Bolivian Rams are the best if you've never kept dwarfs before, if your water is really stable then you could maybe look at a GBR. Their needs are the same as Bolivians however they are a lot more picky on water conditions.

Apistogrammas are by far the nicest looking dwarfs, however they are the most demanding of water chemistry.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Out of the three gourami's I've gotten 2 from 2 different stores, and the third I had them special order from the LFS, was beautiful, but still followed the same line of a few weeks in got sick.

PH, I'm have to check it, not something I usually test.

Are Bolivian Rams readily available? Or is this something I would have to order?
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I've yet to be In an lfs which didn't have Bolivians. They are one of the 'bread and butter' fish for lfs. They sell really well as they are possibly thee most mild mannered cichlid available in the hobby.

Apistos can be hard to obtain in different areas and generally GBR's are easy to get hold of

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Def. leaning towards some rams. Should I just do two, or should I get more then that and wait to see who pairs up?

They won't end up shredding my guppies will they?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would see if a week or two in a quarantine tank with some aquarium salt and a good fungal/bacterial all round treatment sorted out your next purchase - assuming you have good water quality, use a chlorine remover and for gouramis be careful with big temperature changes when doing water changes.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Either get several, hope for a pair to form. Or get 3males or 3 females

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtgael
    I would see if a week or two in a quarantine tank with some aquarium salt and a good fungal/bacterial all round treatment sorted out your next purchase - assuming you have good water quality, use a chlorine remover and for gouramis be careful with big temperature changes when doing water changes.
    For the last two, I've been uber picky when getting them, drip acclimated into a qt tank, they stay there for about 3 weeks, and then drip them into my larger tank. The last one I did medicate with... erm.. think it was Melafix? and got some NLS food with garlic. Seems like they all have just fallen this pattern of about 3/4 weeks in they stop eating, get emaciated and die.

Find it so weird as all the other fish are doing splendid. I have lost 2 guppies in the last 3 months or so, but have had them awhile so may have just been their time to go and unrelated to the gourami's. Thats why I'm kinda leaning towards maybe something going on with the species...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Either get several, hope for a pair to form. Or get 3males or 3 females
    Do I have room for 6 in this tank? Would possibly up my danio populations as well, or try hard to find some tetras!

Or I could scrap the whole thing and redo the tank for African Cichlids