· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe you should look at upgrading the existing tank you have with the overcrowded goarami before tackling a discus tank?
    Looking back I see that you have known the goarami needed a bigger tank a while back.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=58568
    Last edited by smaug; 08-19-2012 at 08:55 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    A HUGE +1 to Smaug.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you when you rehome the turtle I would move the gourami and friends into the 55 and let them have a little room.

I am not an expert but I am pretty sure a tank with discus, cories, khulis, and 2 species of tetra would be very overstocked and unhappy. I would hate to see you spend $300 on discus and then have them be unhappy.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Really? O.o I've seen several people, here and on youtube with almost the same set up I'm thinking of.. And Don't worry about my blue gourami, currently she's in a tank effected by fish TB. Fortunately for her she isn't showing symptoms as well as my 5 other platys. But I have one platy baby and a molly showing symptoms. I ordered the meds, and the special cleaner to sterilize the tank and eveything else. Later tonight I'm setting up a QT tank so they have somewhere clean to be dosed with their medications. If all goes well, my gourami and platies will remain in a 10 gallon until I free up my 20 gallon, after that, that'll become their new home.

I honestly believe a 55 gallon would be fine for 4 - 6 discus, a pair of GBR, a school or two of tetras, and some corys and loaches. I mean discus generally stay in the mid to top of the tank so they won't bother the loaches or corys. And there's plenty of bottom space for the two species. I know the GBR pair will do just fine with the loaches and corys and a school or two of tetras, being less then 10 each would swim alongside the discus.. If I do the correct water changes and keep the water clean. In theory it should work, correct?

I mean really.. Why waste my only 55 gallon on my 4 inch blue gourami and platies... I wouldn't be able to house any other fish with them do to a scare of another round of fish TB so uhm no. Being as that topic is 2 years old not all those fish are there. The 10 gallon currently hold my 4 inch Blue Gourami, a black molly, 3 platys, a variatus, and two small baby platys, one being about 2 cm long and the other being 3/4 cm long.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just ran through aqadvisor this combo, 5 discus, 6 kuhlis, 6 cories, 2 gbr, 8 serpae, and 8 emperor tetras and it came up 131% stocked, way overstocked....and the only reason it said filtration was okay was because I put a rena xp3 canister filtet on there rated for 175 gallons.

Just because people on youtube do it and post about it doesnt make it right.

I am not trying to sound mean, but discus are a large monetary investment and the money you would spend on them could buy a pretty nice over 100 gallon setup on craigslist and then you can start saving up for expensive fish. That is just my opinion.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I guess your right then :/ Maybe I'll wait and get a much bigger tank after I find a new job... Do you know of any larger schooling fish that would work with kuhli loaches, corys, GBR, and some tetra? Anything over 3 or 4 inches would be nice. I just want a larger fish in a school of like 6 fish for the tank

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think it is a question of whether you could have the other fish with the Discus, it is a question of whether you could keep the tank clean enough for the Discus with all the others in there. I've heard it's hard enough to do with the Discus alone.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Its fine I've decided against it. If this topic could be closed or locked that be great.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 08-20-2012 at 01:37 AM.