· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cycling my 46 bow

0 Not allowed!
    I am finally starting my cycle for my tank and I plan to go fish less. I swapped a bio wheel to my friend for one he has been running in his tank for years. I was wondering what level of ammonia should I am for and when should I add fish?

0 Not allowed!
    46g, I would do 3 or 4 ppm and you add fish after it is cycled.

If your new to you but used bio wheel goes for more than a couple days without an ammonia source you will be starting over as the BB colony will have starved to death.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just picked it up today and it is in my tank. I added 8 milliliters of ammonia and it is at one part per million I will probalay add more soon.

0 Not allowed!
    You need to test it tonight and see what the ammonia is at, If it was a decently stocked tank it may have consumed that already.

What size tank did the wheel come from & with what stock?

Depending on the answers to that you may be able to fully stock your tank because you have a full on BB colony.

I hope your friend has additional filtration on the tank your wheel came from, He can expect a cycle if he doesn't.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 08-16-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure but I think it was on of his heavily stocked 75s

0 Not allowed!
    Find out, It's important.

As I mentioned you could be good to go if it was a tank stocked as least as well as you intend to stock.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tested the ammonia, it is slightly below .5. The Nitrites were just maybe a hair above zero. I added the wheel maybe 2 hours ago.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I talked to my friend and he said that it came off of a heavily stocked 75 where he was running a emperor 400. He gave me one of the bio wheels off of there and replaced it with the one I gave him. I am going to do another test to see what it is at. I think I will probably get some fish tomorrow if everything checks out. I was thinking the 3 guppies my brother is going to buy me or would it be better to do more fish?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just tested my water and I have about .25 ppm of ammonia 0 trites and 0 trates. My ammonia is going down but nothing else is going up, so whats up? I just remembered that I am going out of town some time tomorrow and coming back sunday. So what do I do to stop my bacteria dying?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I added 4 more milliliters of ammonia last night. This morning my tank was at
    amm somewhere between .25 and .5
    trites 0
    trates 0

I am leaving sometime today so what should I do to keep my bacteria alive.