0 Not allowed!
    PH has gone up to 6.6 .I think I am ready to get my discus

ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10
    ph 6.6

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do you guys all think that bare bottom is the right way to go for a discus tank ?

Default Disclaimer: I do not keep discus.

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely, Considering how sensitive they are wrt water parameters BB is THE easiest to keep utterly funk free.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, bare-bottom is much easier unless you are willing to siphon your gravel every other day... it's what I have to do anyway.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    should decorations be kept to a minimum to make it easier to clean ?

I currently have a few driftwood logs and fake palnts in the tank to give the discus places to hide

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by melbfish20
    I just put some driftwood and fake plants into the tank and ph has gone down really low.It reads as 6 which is as low as my testing kit can read.Does this mean that I have to take the driftwood out ?

thanks for any response
    Driftwood moves the pH very, very little ......if at all. I crammed 5 big pieces of driftwood in my 55 gallon and it never moved the pH. You should take a reading of your pH right from the tap to find out if this is something in the tank moving those numbers down or if it's your water.

You need to be careful with pH if it goes below 6 and I'm not too sure if even 6 wouldn't be a problem. You can not grow bacteria in pH that low and that's also referred to a "tank crashing" when you suddenly have an uncycled tank due to pH crashing like that.

Before getting any discus, I would get this current problem resolved and find out what is bringing your pH down like that. If pH needs to be increased some, you can do that with a few coral shells rather than chemicals.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Driftwood moves the pH very, very little ......if at all. I crammed 5 big pieces of driftwood in my 55 gallon and it never moved the pH. You should take a reading of your pH right from the tap to find out if this is something in the tank moving those numbers down or if it's your water.

You need to be careful with pH if it goes below 6 and I'm not too sure if even 6 wouldn't be a problem. You can not grow bacteria in pH that low and that's also referred to a "tank crashing" when you suddenly have an uncycled tank due to pH crashing like that.

Before getting any discus, I would get this current problem resolved and find out what is bringing your pH down like that. If pH needs to be increased some, you can do that with a few coral shells rather than chemicals.
    Not sure what caused the ph to go down so low.The ph is currently at 6.7 and the tap water is about 7.2 .The only reason I can think of was that I put a lot of food in the tank to feed the BB in the tank and make sure the cycle was complete at the time the PH went down.

I actualy have 10 cardinal tetras in the tank which are doing fine

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If your Cardinals are doing fine that a good sign. A lot of people keep them with Discus because of similer water conditions.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    A little late and been away - a droping pH often occurs with water that is very soft. Have you checked the water's GH and KH? If these are very low (good for discus as is low pH but bad for the bacteria in the filter) there are substrates that will fix that problem.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    In answer to an earlier question - to get a breeding pair, a min of ten is needed to get a good chance that two will pair off. This assumes you raise them from younger fish. With a 150 gallon tank, fifteen or sixteen is fine (larger tanks allow bending the 10 gal/fish rule. Remember, wood and substrate remove water volume - in smaller tanks, this can be a problem. Your tank, not a serious issue.)

A lot of wood is a good thing - just remember, when they pair off, you will need to either have another tank for them to lay eggs or use a tank seperator screen to keep them from harming the other discus. Also, very young will be food for other discus.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.