· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile 55 Gallon Tall Stocking

0 Not allowed!
    I want know how many dwarf gourami I can fit my tank. Its 36h x 18w x 24l. Or something similar. Also want to stock with Congo tetra and Cory. Thanks for the advice

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for advice on my Betta! - lahlumdi   

0 Not allowed!
    Is your tank really 36 inches tall?

A tank with an 18×24 bottom area can take 1m 1f dwarf gouramis, 0 Congo tetras and 10 Corys under 40 mm long/0 Corys over 40 mm long.

The thing about tanks with small bottom areas is that they can only take small fish. Both species of Congo tetras grow to over 3" SL (excluding tail) so the absolutely the smallest tank that they should be kept in is an 48×12×12 inch one. If you try to keep them in a smaller tank, they will have health problems caused by stunting.

What do you already keep and what is the water hardness of your tank water? If you are unable to measure the tank water hardness, what is the pH and can you ask your water company about your tap water hardness?
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think that it's 26", sorry. Before I had mollys and platys, corys, and a pictus. ph was around 7.4-7.6 . I called the water company and they said that it was 200 something over something, but not ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Default TDS possibly?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKitty27
    I called the water company and they said that it was 200 something over something, but not ppm.
    That's not especially helpful , Can you clarify it please [Call them again if you have to].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for advice on my Betta! - lahlumdi   

0 Not allowed!
    I think that it's 26", sorry. Before I had mollys and platys, corys, and a pictus
    I strongly recommend that you research the fish that you want to keep this time around. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/ has by far the best tank size recommendations and info that I have seen anywhere, but some profiles are still not ideal.

With a 2418 inch bottom area tank, I would be looking at small Asian fish and small livebearers. For example, a group of 10-20 Trigonostigma espei (espei rasbora) would be a perfect schooling species for your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    ph was around 7.4-7.6 . I called the water company and they said that it was 200 something over something, but not ppm.
    That's not especially helpful , Can you clarify it please [Call them again if you have to].
    Most likely it was American degrees which are equivalent to mg/l and ppm, and also should not be used because they are just another way to complicate water hardness for the average person.

It sounds like your water is quite hard, in which case your best bet is neutral to hardwater fish. Softwater fish tend to be more susceptible to disease in hard water, so I do not recommend that you keep them.
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr