· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh - I'm so glad to hear someone has one of these little guys. I'll be eager to see how he does. And I hope you continue to be happy with him. I was really taken by them in the LFS. But all of these comments have scared me away.
    Please keep us posted on how he's doing because I agree, their color is great and they came right to the front of the tank to say hi :o)
    thanks for chiming in
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a balloon blue ram last night. I think they look really cool. The colors in the LFS were amazing, but he wasn't as bright last night in my tank. The front of his dorsal fin has a black streak in it so when it is fully up it looks like he has a little mohawk.

He seems a little stressed, hiding in the plants most of the time, so far. Hopefully he will get more comfortable soon and his colors will come out more. My fish are all very easygoing and docile, just a little curious about him.

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I do not like fish that are bred for genetic defects which can effect their ability to have a normal life.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    Personally I do not like fish that are bred for genetic defects which can effect their ability to have a normal life.
    What sort of genetic defect does it have other than being a little rounded? The belly really isn't ballooned. The LFS called it an Angel Ram, but when I looked it up online, the pictures of the Balloon Blue Ram look exactly like mine. It looks like a cross between a ram and an angel, but no real exaggerated defect that I can see.

29g Community tank -

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also - forgot to ask - Does anyone know how big these guys get? I see info that says anywhere between 5 cm and 4 inches. Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with them.

29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatchuck View Post
    What sort of genetic defect does it have other than being a little rounded? The belly really isn't ballooned. The LFS called it an Angel Ram, but when I looked it up online, the pictures of the Balloon Blue Ram look exactly like mine. It looks like a cross between a ram and an angel, but no real exaggerated defect that I can see.

They have been known to have shortened lifespans and an increased amount of intestinal problems due to their internal organs also being misshapen.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    They have been known to have shortened lifespans and an increased amount of intestinal problems due to their internal organs also being misshapen.
    Ahhh. Thanks Kingfisher. After further research I see what you mean. Well, I guess we'll see how he holds up. I do like the 'Ram' family so maybe my next addition will be a Bolivian or a non-balloon German.

29g Community tank -