· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a great looking tank!! That tree looks awesome!
    Always remember, Goliath was a 40 point favorite against David. ~ Shug Jordan

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very good. I like the umbrella look of the tree. But who knows it might look even better when it gain some height.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! I'm surprised this is the first I've seen of this journal.

Well done, Firefly! The tank looks absolutely beautiful. Love the tree and your other plants - they look very healthy. I'm enjoying the "umbrella" look, as well. It reminds me of a Bonsai. ;]

Good call on the shrimp - I was there with Mandy about the Bumblebee shrimp (they look really cool), but I think you made the right choice. They really pop off the plants, like you mentioned.

This is truly an inspiration... I foresee another tank popping up in my house somewhere. =X My wife will kill me.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kevin and William. That's great feedback for my first low-tech nano attempt.

I think I spoke too soon with the 17 shrimp confirmation as last night I caught them all snacking on a body. One of the little bright red ones too. Boo.

I'm not sure whether to let the other plants (apart from the grass) grow tall. It might detract from the "tree" look.

Always looking to improve things.

0 Not allowed!
    Gave the "tree" another trim tonight.

...and mowed the "lawn".

Here's the new haircut up close.

I ripped out the grass in the back right-hand corner as it wasn't really doing much in the shade. That's been planted up in my other tank now. I stuck in some more cuttings of Alternanthera as the ones on the left-hand side are doing so well.

The anubia is sending some serious roots downwards over the wood. I'm wondering what it'll do now it hits the soil.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    very good tank. I bet your shrimp are spoiled.

You definitely know what you're doing in the plant and shrimp area. good job.

10 gal - 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 2 pc driftwood and planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good, firefly, I really like those Alternanthera. About how tall do they get? I may replace some stems with that in my 75gal.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.

"Alternanthera reineckii pink" was on the label when I bought the original plant and was marked as "medium" difficulty. It grew surprisingly well in my big tank (in coral substrate...which I have now swapped for soil) but in the past few weeks it has started forming holes and melting. I think I might have a phosphate deficiency issue but need a test kit before I'll know for sure. Anyway, it's thriving in this nano tank and produces long sprawling root networks. It will grow up to about 10" from what I have seen so far, perhaps bigger in ideal conditions (which I certainly don't have). Cuttings take really well and keep the original plant bushy as it forms double leaves where it has been cut.

It's a great looking plant and gives a striking splash of pink amongst the greenery.