· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's quite a collection. Amazing looking varieties.

I'm stuck on something red though. I think red really pops against the green of the plants. I guess what's why I ended up with a big school of cherry barbs in my other tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Stocked!

Did a 100% water change after my cycle had completed and was stable for a few days. 18 Red Cherry Shrimp purchased.

They were from two tanks in the shop. One had standard cherries and the other had a strain that were more line bred, so were a bit richer in colour.

I acclimated them over about an hour to an hour and a half using the drip method. I was a bit concerned about them in the bucket as two or three started looking a bit stressed and were lying on their sides. Not good. I'm not sure why, the pH and hardness at the shop was very similar to my parameters and temperature was within a degree or two. Anyway, I carried on monitoring them...concerned...and figured I might lose one or two down to stress, but was hopeful.

I introduced them to the tank once I was sure the temperature was the same in the bucket as was in the tank. Even so, half of them looked quite shocked and lay on the bottom for a long time and half looked fine and began feeding immediately. After an hour or two they all seemed to recover, thankfully!

I'm happy to say that today they all look excellent and four have moulted already.

0 Not allowed!
    COngrats! Quite beautiful really. I sure wish my LFS carried something other than ghost shrimp.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!

Here's one of the very red ones.

Boy do these guys eat!

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking shrimp and plants

I really wish I could keep some of these guys in my FW tank, but with my current stock I'm afraid any shrimp I put in there would become someone's lunch
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.

Yeah I don't think these would last very long in with my cherry barbs.

Here's one where you can see the belly full of algae...

Fascinating little things.

I've just tested the water and it's ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5, so all is well.

0 Not allowed!
    That tank looks AMAZING Firefly. I love the tree. I would kill for a shrimp tank, maybe with a couple of Chilli Rasbora, but freshwater shrimp are illegal in NZ for some stupid reason.

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Well. I thought I was a bit too lucky.

I've lost one shrimp. Found it dead on its back.

Still have 17 that look ok...although how you spot a poor looking shrimp I don't know now!

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful tank Firefly!!!

I love that tree.

You can tell if a shrimp isnt doing to good if they are not very active. If you notice that your shrimp not moving around is a sure sign somethingis bothering them.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm happy to report that 17 shrimp are still alive and kicking.

My tree really took off in the past few weeks and the moss grew right out until it was touching the glass on three sides of the tank. That's great for the shrimp but it was creating a lot of shade...not good for the grass. Eek, it needed a haircut. I cut loads off around the edge and cut it right back to the edge of the bamboo stick skeleton inside. Ended up with loads of clippings (I've donated them to a friend for his tank). I may end up with more soon...!

Here's what it looks like now. It looks a bit cloudy because I've given the filter a good swill/rinse in old tank water and did a small water change. the filter had slowed right down so it needed doing. When I took the front off the filter the shrimp climbed all over the cradle to pick bits off it...funny little things (got to be careful they don't get in the way!)

I'm pretty pleased with the "tree" as it's got a lot bushier and denser. I'm hoping it will get a bit more height to it. Stop the "umbrella" look. Still, it's a far cry from the little sticks I started with.

My grass is still slow growing, but filling in. I gave that a trim last week too. Jeez it's so messy to catch all the trimmings with my net (and the grass is so fine it pokes through the net when I sweep it off the surface).

You have to be really careful when trimming the grass as the shrimp are quite inquisitive and have deceptively long antannae (or whatever they're called) which could easily get snipped.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast