· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Planted Nano Shrimp Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I've been thinking about a shrimp tank for a good while now so finally I got one.

Here's the tank. It's a Dennerle 30 litre nano cube.

Here's the mess on my living room floor.

I had a decent piece of bogwood that looked like two tree stumps. It was a bit big for the footprint of the tank so I sawed them in half and chose the best one to work with. What I am aiming for is to have something that ends up looking like an actual tree (big mossy head). I read that bamboo sticks can start this off, so here's my attempt.

More to come...

0 Not allowed!
    The continuing story of fireflys nano tank.

Go amazonia!
    Never heard of bamboo sticks... will look unsightly in the beginning.. most people just use branchy wood.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    I stole a little bit of moss from my other tank to start things off. I really am going to need to get more though if this is ever to become a 'tree'.

Here's with both sticks moss tied. A bit sparse at this stage. I might get some different types of moss to mix up on the sticks so that some grows up (flame moss?), some grows across (chrismas moss...as I have here), and some grows down (weeping moss?)

I set it in the tank on top of some Dennerle DeponitMix and a bagful of ADA Amazonia. I didn't use the gravel that came with the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipOrigami
    The continuing story of fireflys nano tank.

Go amazonia!
    Never heard of bamboo sticks... will look unsightly in the beginning.. most people just use branchy wood.
    Haha, yes I've been peppering the forum with questions about it all haven't I?

The bamboo sticks are skewers (normally used for making kebabs for the bbq).

0 Not allowed!
    One last check of the angle...

Then I set to work on the plants. I separated out little bunches of grass. Jeez did this take a long time!

I have two types of grass. Eleocharis acicularis to be planted in the back corner. Eleocharis parvula to be planted along the front and side. I've heard Acicularis is prolific and grows tall if allowed. Parvula, I'm hoping, will carpet (although this is going to be a low-tech set up).

Each little bunch was trimmed to around 3cm long and had the roots trimmed to 1-2cm (if they were even that long).

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the first look after planting. I didn't have any planting tongs so I used scissors being careful not to grip the plant with them and cut them. I just opened the scissors a tiny bit, wedged in a plant, dug it in and let go of the plant by opening the scissors. Worked quite well considering!

Then I hacked up a nano anubia I had bought (but realised was way too big and bushy) and wedged this into the tree root.

I think it looks ok as a start. The bamboo sticks will be quite ugly for a long time but I'm patient!

Once I have nice growth and the tank cycles, maybe in a couple of months, I will venture to the LFS for shrimp.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh this is going to come out great. What kind of shrimp will you be getting?
    Roll the Dice!

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure yet. I'd love Crystal Red Shrimp but I'm fully aware of how sensitive they are. If I don't risk it with them I'll get Cherry Red Shrimp.

Does anyone know how many is a good starter group? I was thinking 6 to 8?

I might throw in a couple of assassin snails if any pest snails turn up, and if I get any algae problems I might put a couple of otos in temporarily. I have ten in my other tank but I'm not convinced I will be able to catch any!

At least a month or two of cycling to go yet though. Next job is to get more moss for those ugly sticks.

0 Not allowed!
    Red cherries? Really?
    You should get rili shrimp or other neocardina shrimp.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    I absolutely LOVE this tank. I'm also trying to start up a shrimp tank, but apparently ghost shrimp aren't going to last long no matter what I do. Unfortunately they are the only kind I've seen in the stores around here.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora