· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Frustration

Hybrid View

Default Frustration

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been trying to cycle my 77g tank with ammonia for the last 17 days with not a lot of luck. I've been keeping the amm to ~4.9. I've only seen one day with barely registrable nitrites in all that time, although the amm does slowly drift down to ~2.4 overnight, which I then top back up to 4.9. I have gravel substrate and air stones. Today's parameters are: pH 8 - 8.5, amm 2.4, trItes 0, trAtes 0, using Nutrafin's mini master kit.

During that time, the only things I have done to the tanks are:

On day 7, I added another heater and another canister filter. Original filter is Fluval 405 and we added a Fluval G6. Increased temp from 27 to 30C.

On day 14, I did a partial (~40%) water change because I added a large piece of driftwood. Decreased temp slightly to 28C.

I have not: added anything else (including Prime) to the tank because we have well water, rinsed or cleaned anything, added fish/live plants, added carbon.

I finally broke down and had my hubby ask a friend if we could have some of his filter media, which he generously agreed to. I don't want to screw this up and kill the BB, so I was wondering if someone could check my plan.

When we get the media, I was going to do a large water change prior to putting the media in the filters. Wait an hour after adding the media, and test amm, bumping to 4.9ish. Tomorrow, I will test the amm, trites and trates, and not add more ammonia unless amm=0 (right?) to around 2. When amm and trites = 0, and trates are large, tank is cycled, correct? At that point, add ammonia to keep amm at about 1ish until able to get fish in the tank, doing a large water change to get trAtes < 20 prior to introducing the fish. I am estimating approx 1 week for this to occur.

I know patience is a virtue, but my patience is wearing thin. I am curious though, and wonder if anyone could point out what I was doing wrong with my original cycling with just straight ammonia, as I want to learn from my mistakes. Thanks for any replies.
    Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity
    I started an aquarium journal! It is here on AC!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You are doing too much to that tank. Since the ammonia levels are at 4.9ppm I am assuming you are doing a cycle without fish. Your problem is you aren't letting the ammonia drop completely to 0ppm before adding more. More ammonia = longer cycle.
    When you get the media from your friend, test the ammonia, if any registers don't add any more, don't do a water change, but top off if needed. Add the media and wait for the ammonia to drop to 0, this may be quick, (several hours), or it may take a day or two, it depends on how much media you get and how much bacteria it is holding. Once it drops to 0ppm add more ammonia to bring the level up to 2ppm and wait for it to drop to 0ppm again.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks mommy1 for the quick reply.

So let me just make sure I've got this right. At the beginning, get ammonia to 4-5. Let it drop to 0 (even if nitrItes are not showing? does that ever happen?) then re-add to original level. Once trItes have spiked, next time I have to add ammonia, only increase to 1/2 original amount, and continue to let amm drop to 0 before adding more. When trAtes go up, and when triTes and amm are 0, then only add amm to ~1.

I hope I have this right. I feel like a freaking moron that I can't keep this straight.
    Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity

0 Not allowed!
    You could also try keeping the ammonia level between 3 and 4ppm.

As Mommy has already stated, if the ammonia level is too high, it can slow down the cycle.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You have it right until the end. When ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm and you have nitrates the tank is cycled.
    If the ammonia drops completely to 0ppm there should be nitrites, but every tank is different. Some cycles never see nitrites some levels go through the roof. Since you are adding cycled media you may not see any nitrites and go straight to nitrates.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    @ Cliff ~Thanks for the suggestion. I had been thinking this, but wondered if it was too low for a larger-sized tank.

@ mommy1 Okay, I think I've got it now. Thanks for the heads up about not seeing trItes. Thanks for your patience with us noobs, it is greatly appreciated! (This goes for all the knowledgeable members here who help out too! )