· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default So that white stuff? Turns out it's algae...

0 Not allowed!
    About a week ago, I posted in the cycling section about this white, cottony stuff that was growing on the sand substrate in my newly planted 75gal tank. I had been watching it, thinking it might be related to my tank cycle and possibly a bacterial bloom.

Well, turns out that weird, white, cottony substance turned into a gross, brown, hair-like algae (I assume) which wraps around all over the place and looks pretty horrible.

I was going to leave it alone (and still have) until my cycle has completed. Then was going to syphon it out of there, when I did a massive water change. Unfortunately, now I've got another two/three kinds of different algae... One is growing on my rocks and looks smooth and bright green. Another kind is blackish and covers some of my plants (I think it's Red Algae or something... looks similar to some pictures I saw). And yet, the last kind is a feathery bright green algae that is coming off the leaves of some of my plans, blowing in the current (like hair, but not like the gross brown crap on the substrate).

That gives me 4 types of algae in a new tank only about 2.5 weeks old. lol

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, and I wonder if it's related to how long I leave my lights on during the day?

I've been keeping my tank lights on from 8:30am to about 10pm; about 13hrs. I've read that you should keep the tank lights on between 10-13hrs, so I opted for the optimal amount of viewing time. Now I'm thinking that's probably a bad idea.

Does anyone have any idea on how I should battle these different types of algae?

I actually already have a few snails that hitched a ride on some plants - 2 are already pretty big and eating away, which I'm fine with. I think I can get the brown hair-like algae off the substrate with little problem, once I do my first water change, and I'm going to have a smaller 5-6" Pleco, Striped Raphael Catfish and about 5 otos in here, once I'm ready for fish.

Do you think this will take care of most of it?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The brown slimy stuff is actually a diatom algae and is common in new tanks. It goes away on its own with stable parameters after about a month or 2. Good water changes,and gravel vacs go a long way to remove it. Drop the light back to 8 hrs or less and stay the course with water keeping,it gets better. What kind of lighting do you have,k rate?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    The brown slimy stuff is actually a diatom algae and is common in new tanks. It goes away on its own with stable parameters after about a month or 2. Good water changes,and gravel vacs go a long way to remove it. Drop the light back to 8 hrs or less and stay the course with water keeping,it gets better. What kind of lighting do you have,k rate?
    Whew! Great, thanks Smaug. That's reassuring. =] I'll definitely cut the light back on both my tanks. Now that you mention 8hrs, 13 seems like overkill. I hope that's not a contributing factor to why one of my Tetras and my Dwarf Gourami died...

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe that the extended light period would have harmed your fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
    I don't believe that the extended light period would have harmed your fish.
    Ok, cool. That's good to hear. Thanks again!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No problem, and thanks for letting us know it was algae... I was really stumped on that one.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
    No problem, and thanks for letting us know it was algae... I was really stumped on that one.
    lol, no prob.