· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fishless Cycling and Ammonia

0 Not allowed!
    Given all the difficulty people have with finding suitable pure ammonia it amazes me that no aquarium supply manufacturer makes a small dosage bottle of the stuff for sale in chains and LFS.

It could be adequately labeled and they would probably be able to get away witha rridiculous per unit margin.

0 Not allowed!
    I THINK that the use of cleaning ammonia is kind of new. Think being the key word there. I'm sure that some places will begin carrying it in a few years.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the thing, It's not hard to find [Dollar store, Ace Hardware Etc..] and it is way cheaper than any LFS will have it.
    Seems kind of pointless to carry a product that is easily available elsewhere for less money.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
    Given all the difficulty people have with finding suitable pure ammonia it amazes me that no aquarium supply manufacturer makes a small dosage bottle of the stuff for sale in chains and LFS.
    It could be adequately labeled and they would probably be able to get away witha rridiculous per unit margin.
    New - as in ammonia, January 1999.
    Old - as in people micturating in their tanks to get the cycle started.

Ammonia would be hard to adequately labeled on a tiny bottle that would be salable to the casual tank keeper.
    Dosing into an existing, stocked tank, to help things along would be fatal to the tank. Unfortunately, a large number of people are ignorant (which is curable) but it only takes a couple who are stupid, to ruin a manufacturers profit for a while.

"Reagent grade ammonium chloride for cycling new aquariums" is sold by the http://www.drsfostersmith.com store.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24530 $2.99
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dbosman; 08-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you mention fishless cycling with ammonia at the pet store, they look at you like you have two heads. Not of them have never heard of it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If you mention fishless cycling with ammonia at the pet store, they look at you like you have two heads. Not of them have never heard of it.
    Very true!! I did mention that to a guy at a shop a few towns west of me and got that reaction plus got a little bit of a heckle from him and I was not to happy but it rolled off me pretty well,I got some broad shoulders and duck feathers on my back. But I will say this the guy had a great stock of fish,very healthy looking and clean tanks. I guess he is old school and an old dog that does not want to learn new tricks