· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Wink

0 Not allowed!
    I'd get a gang of otos. They're very sociable and I'd feel sorry for one on it's own. I have 10 in my 120 litre tank and it's absolutely spotless. They're brilliant, best algae eaters I've ever had.

Maybe your single is lonely and depressed?

0 Not allowed!
    That's probably what I'm going to end up doing since I already have one. I started out with three, but two of them died on me. To be honest I think it had something to do with the zucchini I was feeding them. I stopped, and they stopped dying.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If you still have loads of algae, you probably don't need to feed them extra veg. I haven't fed mine yet and I've had them a few months. Did you blanch the veg before putting it in the tank? I wonder if there were any pesticides on it if you think it was connected?

Let's have some pics of whatever you decide to get though...

0 Not allowed!
    All I did to the veggies was rinse them lightly in tap water before I put them in. I had them sliced and frozen so I could just thaw them. At the time I was doing this I didn't have much algae at all. I mean I was afraid they would starve if I didn't put in the veg. I will def add pics! I actually just updated my journal with pics, My Own Little Adventure is the title.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, will go check it out.

0 Not allowed!
    A large amount of amano shrimp will get rid of quite a bit of algae.
    And they are too big to be nommed upon... one of mine seems as big if not bigger than my adult rummynose...
    I have a few in my 166g. Though they don't make a big dent, the places they hang out tend to have little algae.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to have some of those guys. I'm pretty sure that you suggested them to me before on a different post. Like I said on the other post though, no one around here carries them. I guess I'll just have to resort to online ordering like you said.

EDIT:

What do you guys think of my stock load? I'm afraid that I'll end up overstocking...

I have:
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    24 Neon Tetras
    9 Kuhli Loaches
    6 Serpae Tetras
    1 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Otocinclus

Contemplating adding more ottos, and a different kind of shrimp that will survive longer.

EDIT AGAIN: In a 55 gallon...
    Last edited by MandyK; 08-16-2012 at 12:10 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know some kind of snails eat algae but the type is escaping me. Those might help.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarium kid
    I know some kind of snails eat algae but the type is escaping me. Those might help.
    Yeah, pond snails do a bang-up job. ;P Only problem is that they also reproduce like crazy, if given the chance. I had some eggs hitch a ride on a plant I bought from Aquabid. Luckily I saw one of the sacks in time and removed it from the plant, but the other one hatched. Now I'm watching 4-5 of them grow (can't be sure... there could be more. =X). I've read that they eat plants, too, but we'll see. I may keep them to deal with my algae, but I may purchase an Assassin Snail to keep the population down, if it gets out of hand.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Contemplating adding more ottos, and a different kind of shrimp that will survive longer.
    I have 8 otos in a 55 and they are a happy bunch of algae eating machines. :
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.