· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default I need an algae eater...

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon tank, planted, with double filtration, driftwood, and a sand substrate.

Stock is:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    24 Neon Tetras
    9 Kuhli loaches
    6 Serpae Tetras
    1 Otocinclus

I did have 3 ottos, but two of them passed about a week and a half ago. Anyway, although I know the single otto wouldn't really make much of a dent in the algae, but he doesn't seem to be eating any of it at all. He just stays on the glass where there is no algae.

SO, can someone suggest a good algae eater? Please keep in mind that I don't want to completely eradicate the algae in the tank. I kind of like the look of a little bit. I would just like something to help keep it from gettng out of control.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    I have a 55 gallon tank, planted, with double filtration, driftwood, and a sand substrate.

Stock is:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    24 Neon Tetras
    9 Kuhli loaches
    6 Serpae Tetras
    1 Otocinclus

I did have 3 ottos, but two of them passed about a week and a half ago. Anyway, although I know the single otto wouldn't really make much of a dent in the algae, but he doesn't seem to be eating any of it at all. He just stays on the glass where there is no algae.

SO, can someone suggest a good algae eater? Please keep in mind that I don't want to completely eradicate the algae in the tank. I kind of like the look of a little bit. I would just like something to help keep it from gettng out of control.
    No algae, according to you. ;P They're only about 1.5-2" in length, so they're pretty small algae eaters. They do eat tiny particles of algae all over the place. If he's not eating, he won't have a full belly. Mine does the same thing and always has a fat belly, while pooping all over the place.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of algae do you have?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There shouldnt be any algae in the first place if water keeping is kept up with.

0 Not allowed!
    It is just your standard green algae. And the water keeping is kept up with, so I guess you're wrong on that one, thanks. As I said before, I don't mind some because I think it looks nice and natural, I'd just like to have something munching on it. Also, that is good to know about the otto. I def don't want him to be hungry. :)
    Last edited by MandyK; 08-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you could get rid of it if you can diagnose the problem. Do you have high nitrates? Are you regularly changing water?

0 Not allowed!
    Neither one of those things. Again, I like the look of it, I'm just looking for something to munch on it. I don't want something to keep the tank clean (my job obviously...) just something so that there will be some algae, but help me keep it under control.

Edit: Yes on the W/C's. 50% a week. More if I'm feeling froggy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Red Cherry Shrimp... they are awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd love to have shrimp. I actually added 3 ghost shrimp early in the week, but I think one or more of my fish must be killing them. I've found 2 dead so I don't know if that would work for me.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ghost shrimp tend to die off within the first couple of weeks. I used to buy 20 at a time and I'd always end up with maybe 10 or 15 left.

If you have plenty of cover in your tank, preferably mossy or bushy plants, the red cherry shrimps will be fine and probably multiply.