· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Opinions on next fish purchase?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

Got everything settled pretty well with the new 56 gallon column tank as far as stock and plants thanks to the wonderful advice here! Wondering besides adding some cherry shrimp down the road and maybe a few stripped corys to add to what I've currently got I'm curious on opinions on what to add next? Thanks again for all the advice last time.

Stock currently:

3 blue tetras (should add more but having trouble locating them locally)
    14 neon tetras
    3 black spotted mollies
    6 zebra danios
    8 black tetras
    3 stripped cory doras

If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Weird idea but when I look at that pic the only thing that strikes me as being really missing is some height in the decor and plants.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    Weird idea but when I look at that pic the only thing that strikes me as being really missing is some height in the decor and plants.
    I feel the same. I was told overtime the wisteria should grow to 12-18 inches so I'm hoping as time goes on that will truly be the case. I added a bunch towards the back and used the two different types to balance it out a bit. The frill on the left side I'm sure won't get as tall but I wanted to break it up a bit with some variety.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    If you do.. here's a suggestion. Round out the tetra school when you find some and just leave it all to grow for a few months.
    sooner or later you'll see or read something that strikes you and then you can always see if you can fit it in.

It's a good selection of fish and a tank that's coming along nicely but has some ways to go.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    If you do.. here's a suggestion. Round out the tetra school when you find some and just leave it all to grow for a few months.
    sooner or later you'll see or read something that strikes you and then you can always see if you can fit it in.

It's a good selection of fish and a tank that's coming along nicely but has some ways to go.
    Thank you for the advice wijnands. I'll back off the throttle a bit, let things settle while poking around for ideas as time goes on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   thank you - Indian Woods Angels   :-) - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that some height would be good, and maybe a background. Just a black background or you could get creative and try a DIY moss wall. I've seen some pretty nice looking moss walls and they look great. Instead of that, some jungle vals planted along the back could make a nice grassy backdrop. IMO the jungle val would be the best way to go but even if you leave it as is it looks great.

As for stocking I agree with wijnands that backing off for a little bit could be a good idea, but I like the idea of you adding a ram or apistogramma. I think that would make a great centerpiece fish to kind of add something different to the tank.