· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - K_8Xpath   

Default Opinions on my stock ideas for a 10G(maybe 20 G) tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I'm Kate. So, I would rather have a 10 gallon tank so I don't have to buy a separate desk to fit a 20, but if the 20 really would be best for the following fish then I will definitely do so.

Of course I like somewhat active, colorful species: Dwarf Gourami, Sailfin Molly, Betta(s) if females won't nip the molly's...? And of course am open to other small species, but would like a little variety. Also, is a Borneo sucker fish okay or will he be under fed? Would he eat plants, because I would like to add some nice, easy to care for plants?

P.S. I am new at this, have researched a good amount but could use experienced enthusiasts! I have only owned 2 male bettas previously and only have knowledge of housing one male at a time.
    - Kate

20 gallon Tiger barb Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    All of that is not going to fit in a 10 so you need to decide if you are going 10 and eliminating some stock options or going 20g in which case you still have some decisions to make
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    "borneo sucker" is what's known as a hillstream loach. They need cooler and well oxygenated crystal clear water. Not a good idea for a newbie and a new tank.

10 gallon isn't much and platys and mollys suddenly aren't that little anymore.
    A pair of either (not both) and a couple of guppies could work. A few pygmy cories or otocats once the tank has matured or some red cherry shrimp would be the practical limit I think
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - K_8Xpath   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I will plan for 20 then. Guppies are cool too even if they are the only species in the tank. Oh by the way should have clarified, what I meant by variety is a small school, then maybe one or two of a different species if it would work out.
    Last edited by K_8Xpath; 08-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    - Kate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Even with a 20g, you cannot have a betta and a gourami together. They will fight to the death.

However, there are lots of other options. A DG would be fine in a community.

Try to get a 20 long, they give you more options.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurescriber
    Even with a 20g, you cannot have a betta and a gourami together. They will fight to the death.
    Yeah, probably just won't get another betta then. Don't want anything to kill one another...
    - Kate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    And uhmm... "desk"? I'm pretty sure a majority of desks won't even handle a full 10G, what more of a 20G. Before you even buy a tank or consider what size to buy, i think you should first look for a stand that will hold the weight of a tank instead of a desk.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    And uhmm... "desk"? I'm pretty sure a majority of desks won't even handle a full 10G, what more of a 20G. Before you even buy a tank or consider what size to buy, i think you should first look for a stand that will hold the weight of a tank instead of a desk.
    I just clicked this book mark to see what kind all have! I am looking for a good stand online right now. My desk is pretty dang sturdy and large though. I am 95 pounds and have stood on it many times, to hang things on the wall (LOL) but am thinking a stand would look nicer anyway.
    - Kate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    10G is rather 110 lbs when full with water, plus the decors, might be close to 120 or so. Standing on a desk is probably not a good idea, though it means your desk can withstand your weight for a little while.

Although your desk can hold you for a few seconds (or minutes), your tank is gonna be on it for days (maybe years) and might bend over and eventually break. So best bet is still to look for a stand made for holding a fish tank.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    10G is rather 110 lbs when full with water, plus the decors, might be close to 120 or so. Standing on a desk is probably not a good idea, though it means your desk can withstand your weight for a little while.

Although your desk can hold you for a few seconds (or minutes), your tank is gonna be on it for days (maybe years) and might bend over and eventually break. So best bet is still to look for a stand made for holding a fish tank.
    Thanks! Since we are on this subject, some of the stands I have seen hold the tanks where there is no room on either side, they kinda look unstable, are they just enforced extremely well?
    - Kate