· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Praise to those who research first!

0 Not allowed!
    The other day, a friend called with the news of a few new purchases-a redtail catfish, two snakeskin gouramis, two blue gouramis, two irridescent sharks, and two black lyre-tail mollies. Knowing that my friend has a fully stocked 75-gallon tank which is RULED by a one-eyed GIANT tetra(this is the largest tetra I've ever seen!), I asked if another tank had also been purchased. The answer dreadfully was 'no'. Instead, I was asked to come help with the breakdown of the 75-gallon-to replace substrate and relocate tank 10'. Concerned about the safety of the innocent fish, I gathered an arsenol of supplies and headed out the door. We drained most of the water(after testing)into as many jugs and new buckets as we could find. Unfortunately, we were only able to save about 30% of the original water. The fish were put in a large cooler (in their tank water)that I hung filter (which I only rinsed in some tank water)and heater in and closed the lid to reduce the stress load and keep the fish from jumping out. Meanwhile, the new substrate has been rinsed and put into the aquarium and now the water is being added. Less than halfway through, I run out of dechlorinator and find out my friend doesn't even know what that is!! Since it was late and I knew the lfs was closed, I suggest a trip to Wal-Mart. The response I get was more baffling than the latter...I heard water splashing into the tank...chlorimines just went in to the tank. :'( I seriously almost cried. My thoughts then turned to fish my friend planned to cram together. With the tank over halfway full, the cooler was next. Instead of gently being netted and released, they are dumped into the now mirky water. I found the mirky water unsettling, so naturally I began to look for the problem. I know that the conditions are SO bad for the fish, and I also know that this ameteur has no idea what is good or bad for fish. After a little poking around, I discover the worst thing--blue gravel that indicates the tank had not been thoroughly cleaned out. The response my questioning of this was that the 'black water' had been saved along with some of the blue rock. The next day, he calls to tell me that the tank had cleared up and I should come see it. I go over to look at it, and discover that the red-tailed catfish is missing an eye, both blue gouramis have no tail left(one is eaten into the body), both sharks are dead, the mollies' tails are gone, and everybody has Ick. Fabulous display of what not to do, and I HAD to share the experience. PLEASE RESEARCH before you buy anything! My advice to my friend was to take all the fish back (if they will take them) and beg for help before all the fish died. I doubt he will. So sad.
    Last edited by UofMKitty; 08-12-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Fish feel pain, too!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need one for all your great posts! - MLBfan   Because you love Bolivian Rams as much as I do! :) - kurly   Top man, good to hear from you mate! - Brookfish   everyone  needs  a  ram - bushwhacker   cheers for quick ich response - ScottishFish   

0 Not allowed!
    A really good treatment for people with this kind of problem is a nice big dose of
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    So you got an intellectually challenged "friend". I'm sorry to hear that.

Research.. vital, half the fun in some cases especially now there's youtube.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    irridescent sharks? They reach 2 ft and more.

Sounds like a great life lay ahead for these fish......altho a short one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Ah yes, Research . . . The benefits are obvious and many [As are the consequences of not bothering to do any].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking.. I'm not sure I could stay friends with someone who treats a hobby and animals I'm passionate about in such a manner. Silly perhaps but.. I think this would be a friend I'd stop calling.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Feelings are mutual

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    I was thinking.. I'm not sure I could stay friends with someone who treats a hobby and animals I'm passionate about in such a manner. Silly perhaps but.. I think this would be a friend I'd stop calling.
    I assure you I feel the same. This is my husband's friend, so it is rather complicated. We have heard from this friend, and I am pleased to report to the community here that he now knows what dechlorinator is AND owns a big bottle! He also took the fish back as suggested and even gave the giant tetra a new home. He is now following my husband's instruction on ridding the tank of Ick. I recommended the immediate removal of three very large and suspicious looking crawfish. IckGuard 2 is being used and the temperature has been raised to 80-deg. I removed the blue gouramis and mollies(the lfs said no because of their injuries)and brought them to my quarantine where I am using aquarium salt and heat only. I did this because they have such bad injuries and I was worried about combining infection and strong medication. The fish seem to be more active after two days and I doing pwc daily(10%) on this tank. I am also feeding these fish a little frozen brine shrimp and split peas. I am doing a pwc(20%)tomorrow on the 75-gallon, too. He has offered to pay us to maintain his tank, also-which I was happy to do. I figured at least the fish would be safe...plus I could use the cash for my own projects! He said he really doesn't have the time to learn everything he needs to learn, but he wants fish-happy healthy fish-and they are on their way! Mission(somewhat) accomplished!
    Fish feel pain, too!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You are quite welcome, and thank you! - mommy1   For the Blue Tetra. A treasure they are. - Strider199   Here's a GBR -- goodluck! - ameliaaahx   For your first SW tank, and thanks for the rep - Cliff   welcome to the darkside - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    glad that the fish will have someone looking after them. Healthy happy fish are contagious to humans anyway. Give your friend some time seeing how passionate you and your husband are at caring for a proper aquarium and in a few months he will get curious and start learning himself just because he gets attached to the inhabitants. Good work soldier.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    It bothers me that they do not research before they buy but it bothers me even more they don't bother to research after they buy them, either.

It just seems that from plain curiosity they would look their fish up on-line to see what size they would grow to, what kind of food they prefer, what temps they do best in, etc.

I can understand why people leave forums. It just becomes so aggravating to read of fish subjected to stupid conditions just so many times that you just want to walk away from reading anymore about it.