· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Community tank compatibility experience.

0 Not allowed!
    New to the site, sorry if I've posted in the wrong area but...on with it. My girlfriend and I decided we wanted to start an aquarium about five months ago. We had a 55g tank that we had gerbils in and gave those away, cleaned it and voila, put in water. Conditioned it, so on. We were eager to get something in it so tgat night we drove thirty minutes to wal Mart and got 5 flame tetras, 3 high fin skirted tetras, and three honey gourami. The next day we made a trip to pet smart and got us a few more fish and we had no idea about what is good or bad and everything worked out great until!! My gal thought the jack Dempsey cichlid looked cool so she got two. This is about three weeks into our aquarium experience so. Upon putting them in the tank we noticed there docile behavior as opposed to what the workers at the store had said. (stress from the move I suppose) and thought all was well. We had about fifteen to twenty small fish in the aquarium at this point. We came back the next day to realize one Bala shark was dead, One rainbow shark, two opaline gouramis, and a few other small stuff. We immediately put the dempseys in a ten gallon and went to buy another larger tank suitable for them. We buy another 55g and come home to realize tgat one of the jacks is dying. We quarantined him and treated him for three days but he died from attempting to eat a fish too big, probably the rainbow shark as we didn't find it's body. So we bought another jack, female. And two parrots, and two oscars (overstocking, yes I know now) but tgat became a predator tank. And since then we have learned a great deal about aquarium maintenance and keeping healthy fish happy. The predator tank if filled with enough decor tgat tgey mostly stick to their own business (except for big jack who runs the place) and the community tank is in perfect shape with all original 5 flame tetra, all 3 hi fin, one honey gourami, one striped dwarf gourami, 2 Bala sharks, 2 rainbow sharks, 5 neon tetra, 2 balloon Molly, 1 Dalmatian Molly, one Pleco, 1 rope fish. Once the predators get a little bigger we plan on getting a secondary predator tank to keep territory even. We now also have a ten gallon with a pair of demasoni, a ten gallon with 3 German blue rams 1m 2f and hope to have fry soon :) and a 30g tall aquarium with two amazon discus, 1 angelfish and 3 little clown loach. It's been a great experience and I can't seem to help but wanting more stuff haha. Eventually we will do salt water but with both of us in college im afraid it woul be a little too much upkeep at the moment. One wierd thing I have learned is that the wal mart fish, though not the most exotic, we're by far the hardiest of the community tank lot. An after nitrate problems in all tanks, battles with ick, and fungal infection, chronic cloudiness, fish loss (most notably tgree baby angelfish tgat I was fond of) and every problem in the book, we now have five clear, clean and healthy aquariums each adapted to a general based condition of the fishs natural Habitat. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Rough ride.
    Welcome to AC!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Learning from mistakes is the most important thing you can do when first starting out in this hobby, coupled with research.

I am afraid that the 30 tall is not adequate for the clowns in the long term and they will do much better with a couple more in the school. You will notice a change in their behavior almost immediately.

Welcome to the forum
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You are quite welcome, and thank you! - mommy1   For the Blue Tetra. A treasure they are. - Strider199   Here's a GBR -- goodluck! - ameliaaahx   For your first SW tank, and thanks for the rep - Cliff   welcome to the darkside - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Others will have to verify this as I have no experiance with either species yet, but won't discus and angels tear each other apart? Or is it only their own kind they get aggressive with?

Either way welcome to the forum, and really glad you found this place. Please, please listen closely to the advice experiance members here give you. It may be contrary to a lot of what you might hear in pet stores or on some less responsible forums, but they really do know what they are talking about and have your fishes well being in mind.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephalem
    Others will have to verify this as I have no experiance with either species yet, but won't discus and angels tear each other apart? Or is it only their own kind they get aggressive with?
    Some angles will get agressive with anyone they think looks at them funny.
    Discuss are often more timid and prone to cowering. Keeping them with angels calls, in my opinion, for a huge body of well planted water. Otherwise it's going to end with a bunch of tattered discuss cowering in one corner.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!