· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Unhappy elevated nitrate

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I recently did a larger than ususal grave vac on my 60 gallon discus tank. Now my nitrates are about 60 but nitrites are 0. Is this because i stirred up so much junk in the tank and I should leave it alone or should i do another partial water change without gravel vac? thanks

0 Not allowed!
    If it were my tank, I'd do another PWC to get the nitrates down to 20 - even more than 1 more if needed - discus are sensitive fish.

Also, I assume you don't vacuum your gravel often if you stirred up so much junk and are you possibly overfeeding?

What you should be aiming for is to have a reading of 20 nitrates before you do a gravel vac.

When is the last time you cleaned your filter? I know I used to have a higher reading for nitrates than I should have and discovered lots of rotting food in the tubing of my filter - had to rinse them out and then make sure I vac a different part of the gravel with every water change.

0 Not allowed!
    i have only had the discus for about two weeks. i am feeding several times a day, as they would not eat at first. i have gravel vac frequently. i have a undergravel filter with two power heads, a bio wheel 350 and another hango on aqua clear. prior to the discus i had 3 black tailed shark for several years . now it is just 4 clown loaches and 5 3inch discus. if i do another partial water change tomorrow should i continue to do vigorous gravel clean or just do water change

0 Not allowed!
    While I'm not totally familiar with your filtration, I've read that undergravel filters can lead to higher nitrate levels and get clogged easily - most people don't use them anymore. Also, are you sure that what you have is sufficient for a 60gal tank? I dont' know the capacity of your filters - I'm sure you know that ideally you should have filtration for double the size of your tank.

If you normally do thorough gravel vacs I would do water changes to see if that brings down your nitrates - if you continue to have problems with the nitrates level then you will need to see where else the nitrates are coming from.

0 Not allowed!
    thank you. i had discus years ago, and things have changed alot. i am giving them live worms and i imagine over feeding is a problem. i will do water change again tomorrow and look into more filtration

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like that due to your fish being slow to eat, much of what you put in there wasn't eaten maybe?

When I feed my fish, I add a tiny amount at a time and watch to see them eat it - with your fish, if they don't seem interested, I can see where you'd try a few times especially if they're small, but very often if can take new fish a while to feel "at home" and accept what you're offering.

It's a good idea to make sure to vacuum up all the wasted food, especially until you are able to replace the under gravel filter.

Also, I wouldn't stick exclusively with the worms - fish need more of a varied diet and worms won't have every nutrient they need. Just my 2 cents. : )