· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Smile finishing cycling, time to reset knowledge!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    Last night my ammonia was 0, nitrites 5 ppm, nitrates 80 ppm.
    Tonight ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 160 at least, i think it is actually of the chart.
    I think this means my cycle is finished and I can add some fish
    How much of a water change should i do (even if my tap has around 0.5 ppm ammonia), 80%, 90%, 100%?
    Is there any general rule in the water testing & for the filter that would tell me either i can add more fish or my tank is maxed out?
    I will posting in the compatibility section for my stocking plan.
    Thanks.
    Yeah, i am so happy, i made it

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but your cycle is not yet complete...

You'll have to wait for your nitrites to drop or else any fish you put in there will be extremely stressed at 5ppm.

Keep dosing ammonia at half the previous dosage until you read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and A LOT of Nitrates...

0 Not allowed!
    Homemadepopcorn, I think you might have missed the third line in the OP's post.

As the ammonia and nitrites are now at zero, and you nitrates are way up (off the charts) I would say your done. Until you can add your fish, feed a little ammonia everyday to keep the bacteria alive. Just before you add your fish, change as much of the water as you can (100% is best).

Your bacteria should take care of that ammonia in your tap water within a few hours if you had used higher ammonia levels when you cycled your tank (like around 4ppm) and you have a good amount of biological filter media.

Keep testing you water and if your nitrates start to rise and/or you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite, that could be a indecation of a overstocked tank or not enough maintenance to the tank and filters
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Homemadepopcorn, I think you might have missed the third line in the OP's post.
    Thank you Cliff! Sorry OP :/

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    Well, i know my tank took care of 2ppm of ammonia in 5 hours (i added some ammonia this morning and checked every hour to see (i am a little crazy that way...) but i think i actually startedthink with 2.5 ppm, will thatyou be aposting problem?
    I did reinforce my biomedia by adding 2 bags of biomax 30 to my filter between the nitrite/nitrate phase, meaning 10 days ago.
    I just did close to 100% water change, i will let it stabilize for an hour before testing again
    thanks.
    Delphe.

0 Not allowed!
    Until you get fish, you really only need to add enough ammonia to get to 1.0ppm - you will see it disappear quickly now that you are cycled.

It might take more than 1 water change to get your nitates down to 20ppm or less - that's what you are aiming for.

Adding biomedia is a good thing - it will provide more surface area for bacteria to grow and will give you a little extra media if you decide to cycle another tank in the future.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    If your filter can handle 2ppm of ammoina in 5 hours, it should make short work of the 0,5ppm in your tap water. Once your stocked, you can do 50% weekly water changes with a very very short lived 0.25ppm ammonia spike to follow.

I would suggest a 100% water change and add your first few fish.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    I did a 100% water change yesterday along with changing the carbon cartrige of the filter and i think doing so set me back into a mini cycle as this morning i had 0.5 ppm of ammonia & nitrite, 0 ppm of nitrates. Will wait until this afternoon to recheck before getting my first fish. This is frustrating, how can i avoid that in that futur?
    Delphe

0 Not allowed!
    Doing a water change will not set the tank back as long as you used your dechlorinator. Bacteria is not in the water, only the filter and some in the gravel. How long have you been cycling?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    it has been cycling for 21 days.
    The watertank change is probably where i did wrong. I did use water conditioner after the tank was filled again (still have no chlorine or chloramines in my well). Anyway I siphon all water at once and fill it back with my garden hose (very cold 68 degrees compare to the 82 raising temp)+ i change the filter cartrige, so i think that temperature chock +i the extraction of part of the population made them Very unhappy.
    my readings are now
    ammonia 0.5 ppm
    nitrites 0.5 ppm
    nitates 5 ppm
    temp 76 degrees
    I will not do it again like this, may be you should post on a correct way to change water
    delphe