· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stuck on what to do.....?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone!

I have had my 55 gallon freshwater fish tank for about 4 months and I thought I was just getting the hang of it, but sadly no.... I have had 6 bloodfin tetras, 4 xrays, 2 neons, 2 yellow silver dollars, and 2 gold algae eaters. I have always tried to have angelfish, but they were to small and would die. I found an actual FISH STORE nearby and decided to give it a try. I saw the angelfish in the tanks and they were bigger, about 1.5 inches long and main body is 1 inch so I bought 2. The guy said they would be OK with the tetras, they all have their own personalities so you could get ones that are nice etc... The first night was fine, the tetras and angels seemed good when I woke up, but the 2nd morning when I woke up OMG! There were body parts everywhere!! My 3 inch long gold algae eater only had his head left with parts floating around and one of the bloodfins tail and face were eaten off while the rest of him was stuck to the filter!!! I looked online and it said that angels eat tetras in the wild so I knew it was them. I decided to try and give it one more night. I have a timer so the lights go off at night, before I went to bed I turned the tank lights on to see what was going on and all the poor fish were hiding but for the angels. I went out and bought a 10 gallon tank, gave my friend one angel, and put the other in the 10 gl. So my questions are how long can I keep this angel in a 10 gallon and how many tetras can I put in a 10 gallon? and is one angelfish in a tank with all tetras fine? will he be less aggressive??
    Last edited by ashcon; 08-12-2012 at 04:46 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    The angel is what gave you the problem so get rid of the angel. A 10 gallon is too small for him and too small for tetra's too unless you had the smallest ones. Fill up those schools of fish as they should be stocked.....silver dollars, tetra's and neons are all short schooled.

My angel (one) is in a 55 with tetra's but he has always shared a tank with others so is used to them.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-12-2012 at 05:15 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tetras are in pretty small schools and that could have let them be super stressed out when the angels were added. Also if your golden algae eaters are chinese algae eaters they can get mean when they get bigger.

I have two of my angels in with a large school of tetras (22 serpae tetras) and are fine.

If I were you I would rehome the neons(angels can eat them when they grow up), and up your other two schools of tetras to at least 10 or more, also rehome the other algae eater if it is a chinese one, and then try an angel again.

I also dont know how long that angel can stay in the ten gallon.

I also dont know much about silver dollars.

And all of this is if you really want an angel.

Good luck.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they are the chinese ones.... whats the difference between the neon tetras and the bloodfins? I thought they get the same sizes so id be worried about them also. Are you saying that the bloodfins could have killed one of its own? or the chinese killed its kind and then a blood fin? I dont know if I should put the angel back in? All the other fish were fine until I put the 2 angels in.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cant know for sure what happened but sometimes adding a new different fish can throw off the balance of the aquarium. You also could have gotten a bully angel or two. It is probably safer to just return the other angel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im scared to return the angel because I dont want them to kill him which is usually what they do..... I guess I might just keep him in the 10 gallon for a week and then try to put him in the 55 gallon and see what happens. He seems ok with being in the 10 gallon tank, strangely he seems happier.....? I dont know what to do! Should I transfer some of the tetras to the 10 gallon? Like the xrays and the neons, then get more bloodfins with the angel in the 55 gallon?

Lightbulb LOL - They do not kill them, They resell them . . . Where do you hear this stuff?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcon
    I dont know what to do!
    Yes, You do.

It's likely not what you wanted to hear but you have heard it twice already and here it comes for the third time:

Return the angels & up your tetra schools to decent numbers.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.