· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shrimp

Default New Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    So yesterday I came home with some ghost shrimp. I added three to my display tank, and I added two to my snail tank.

The snail tank is a 1.5 gallon, with no airstone, and no filter. It is planted, and I added a moss ball for good measure.

The display is a 55 gallon with no fish that the shrimp have to worry about. The tank is planted, and has algae growth, but there is no moss.

Is there anything special I should do for these guys, and will they breed?

I am hoping that they will breed so that I can use some to feed my future Dwarf Puffer.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Ghost shrimp are essentially care free lol. You may see berried shrimp but they need brackish to grow to adulthood so this is not the route to take to feed a puffer.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Got ya. I do have salt. Would it be hard to supply this requirement in the small tank? I'm guessing the snails might be opposed to it.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    You have marine salt or aquarium salt?

The first contains dozens of salts and is also fortified with many many more elements in the relative concentrations you'd find them in the ocean, The later is essentially Kosher salt marked up ridiculously in price.

You can use the first but not the second to make a tank brackish though i wouldn't suggest it in such a small tank as your margin for error is microscopic.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, good to know. I'm pretty positive that I have the second anyway. RCS will breed in straight freshwater won't they? Maybe I'll see if I can get my hands on some of those as well.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have ghost shrimp in with my dwarf puffer and he does chase and kill them, but I would not say he really eats them. He really likes to chase down and eat pond snails....we just pick them out of other tanks and throw them in.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, that foils that plan... Although the shrimp are in a snail tank. I'm using the snails for the same purpose.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tried breeding/raising pond snails in a gallon betta tank and failed...I even had a dinky sponge filter in with them. On the other hand I moved some cycled media over to my qt when I had some surprise fry and surprise the pond snails and thriving in thr bare bottom tank with 3 zebra fry.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha. Well I'm having noooo problem with the snails not breeding. I think they are nerite snails though.

Default & yes RCS breed like crazy in fw.

0 Not allowed!
    Nerite snail eggs won't hatch [Again] in FW either.