· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

Default First across town tank move

0 Not allowed!
    So I just put some money down for a friends tall 15g and she lives a little over an hour away. I am going to pick it up in 3 weeks and this will be the first time moving live fish like this so I want to be sure I'm doing it right. The tank has 2 Lyretail Guppies, a Green Cobra, Orange Sunshine, 2 Glofish, and an unknown Cory.

My plan is to drain some of the water into a bucket and move the fish to it, throw the filter media in the bucket too. I may or may not pick up a battery operated air pump, not sure I need it for the 1-2 hours. Finish draining the tank and throw it in the truck on a level surface with nothing but the sand in it (2" to 2 1/2"). Refill tank at home and drip acclimate the fish in the bucket..... guess thats it....

Plz let me know if I am over looking something or need to do something different.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Do not move a fish tank with anything in it. It adds far too much weigh to the bottom of the tank. You can tear that tank down and remove the water and substrate in half an hour. Put the fish in a tote or bucket, and dump some tank water in the pail and that's good enough. The filter will remain wet for several hours. That's fine tossed in a bucket to.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    2" of sand in a 15 isnt that heavy.. your plan sounds fine to me.. especially as its a tall smaller footprint
    Last edited by bushwhacker; 08-12-2012 at 03:40 AM.
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    My high 20g came home with gravel in it against my will, but all was well and I hit a few spots in the road that I was sure broke it. I'm thinking its a 20lb bag of sand and all will be fine, but because of the longer trip this time I will scoop out what I can of the sand. Just means another bucket.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    It's your tank and if you want to chance it, it's up to you. 20 lbs of dry sand is not the same as wet sand. Just seems like an unnecessary gamble to take for a few minutes of work to remove it and toss it in a bucket.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   :-) - ~firefly~   For good advice here at the forum - Cermet   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd strip it right down - less weight in it means less support required and less chance of cracking - it would be heartbreaking to get it home and watch the water run out as fast as you can put it in

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZero911
    because of the longer trip this time I will scoop out what I can of the sand. Just means another bucket.
    aww I can't just quote lol...