· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default "Centerpiece" Fish for 29 gal?

0 Not allowed!
    So my beloved betta Blizzard finally passed away. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a neat "centerpiece" fish for my 29 gallon. It's a planted tank 72, degrees, neutral pH, hard water. I wanted to do a goldfish, but fear for my plants even though most aren't the kind they like to eat (java fern, anubias, crypts, bronze wentz, wistera). It currently has 2 cory cats, 6 rummy nose tetra, and 8 pentazona barbs. I've had poor luck with grouamis, but would consider trying again. I could stick to the betta root, but they have shorter life spans and I always get so attached!
    Last edited by rascal22; 08-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Err... 5, 6 years seems quite a decent age for a betta. I think they also like it a bit warmer than 72. So would a lot of the more obvious choices like rams.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    Err... 5, 6 years seems quite a decent age for a betta. I think they also like it a bit warmer than 72. So would a lot of the more obvious choices like rams.
    I've gotten mine to typically 3-3.5. Never 6! Wow. Now I feel terrible. Goldfish with a span of >10 years just seems awesome.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Please don't put goldfish in with tropical fish. Goldfish are coldwater fish and should really be in a large tank or a pond. They're also really messy so need lots and lots of filtration. I kept goldfish for quite a few years and found them to be very intelligent, interactive fish that need stimulation and space. They may well uproot your plants.

For your tank I wouldn't go for a centrepiece - I'd up your rummynoses and barbs to at least 10 per group and add a few more cories. You'll have three nice shoals then.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    For your tank I wouldn't go for a centrepiece - I'd up your rummynoses and barbs to at least 10 per group and add a few more cories. You'll have three nice shoals then.
    That was my initial thought as well.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's true! Maybe I'll just do that. I agree that my tank isn't really that suited for a goldfish, which was why I was hoping for some good ideas. A 29 really doesn't have a lot of "centerpiece" options due to it's size anyway; I was hoping there was something I didn't know about! I might try a betta again...I love their personalities. I'll keep my eyes peeled for rummy nose at the LFS.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I love my cory cats. They are just the cutest! I have a soft spot for pandas especially! There are 10 in my 75 ^_^ My favorite fish ever!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    29 gallons is pretty small to consider a centerpiece fish. Centerpiece fish are generally a larger showpiece fish. Perhaps a pair of pearl gourami's would work but beyond that, can't think of any.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all. I'll stick to one betta if anything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of a Betta living to 6 years, either. The average lifespan is half of that and we never know how old they are when purchased.

oops.....Just saw you don't have good luck with gourami's. Just as well.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-11-2012 at 12:48 AM.