· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Circulation pump in 25 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    My tank has had an Aquaclear 50 HOB from the beginning. I noticed that it wasn't visibly circulating very much, especially at the bottom. I assumed that was because there's about 18" from the gravel to the filter's output. So I added a circulation pump, a Hydor Koralia Nano 425. I chose the 425 after reading reviews, which seemed to indicate that the 240 (the next size down) would probably be too slow.

I plan on having mostly shrimp and tetras in the tank, and currently have seven black neons, 4 ottos, around eight Amanoes, maybe 4 each of red cherries and crystal reds, and a ghost shrimp. The inhabitants don't seem to mind the current.

But my girlfriend thinks the current is too fast. I'm undecided. Any input is appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You are quite welcome, and thank you! - mommy1   For the Blue Tetra. A treasure they are. - Strider199   Here's a GBR -- goodluck! - ameliaaahx   For your first SW tank, and thanks for the rep - Cliff   welcome to the darkside - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll let more experienced members give you the final say here, but as far as my eyes can tell I think its fine. Especially the shrimp use the current to feed, and they are pretty good little swimmers, so I think they will love it.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

.`.`..`.> - korith   for being a cool person - PhillipOrigami   For playing along and banning PO. hehehe - Strider199   hope you like it. - Gogi   Cories should be kept in schools... - MuckyFish   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks fine to me and Amanos do filter feed thru currents, so it wouldn't be all that bad for them.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow... yours looks a lot more calm than mine does. lol I've felt that mine might be too strong, too, because it pushes down my corkscrew vals when the current wraps around to the other side of the tank... but it's a 75gal tank, using a Koralia Evolution 750. Now you have me questioning if I should return it (or sell it) and get something else.

Your tank looks great to me.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    The best way to use koralias to creat movement without overpowering things is to have 2 small ones instead of just 1 larger one. Have them at opposing sides of the tank at the bottom pointed up to have there currents hit each other. This creates turbulance and some variablity in the flow which makes the tank much more natural. Simply play around with the direction from each until you get sort of a back and forth movement of the plants instead of them being just pushed down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    The best way to use koralias to creat movement without overpowering things is to have 2 small ones instead of just 1 larger one. Have them at opposing sides of the tank at the bottom pointed up to have there currents hit each other. This creates turbulance and some variablity in the flow which makes the tank much more natural. Simply play around with the direction from each until you get sort of a back and forth movement of the plants instead of them being just pushed down.
    Thanks smaug. How small do you think I should go for a 75gal, if I go that route?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Kevin. You could use another 750 in your tank for that affect. Its all in how you position them to get the desired movement.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, guys. I actually hope to get a few bamboo shrimp at some point so I was hoping the current is good. Getting two and aiming them at each other is a good idea, too. I did a bit of research before deciding to get a circulation pump and I was surprised by the lack of discussions; I'm glad I didn't do too bad this time, but I definitely know what to do in the future.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meclizine
    Thanks, guys. I actually hope to get a few bamboo shrimp at some point so I was hoping the current is good. Getting two and aiming them at each other is a good idea, too. I did a bit of research before deciding to get a circulation pump and I was surprised by the lack of discussions; I'm glad I didn't do too bad this time, but I definitely know what to do in the future.
    Not much talk about because most don't go for a lot of movement in a planted tank. Its not a problem usually but many plants don't really do well with much current as there leaves are thin and stems not robust. Just keep an eye on it and if you see torn and detached leaves you will know its too much.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Not much talk about because most don't go for a lot of movement in a planted tank. Its not a problem usually but many plants don't really do well with much current as there leaves are thin and stems not robust. Just keep an eye on it and if you see torn and detached leaves you will know its too much.
    I got the feeling that not many people put circulation pumps in their freshwater tanks. I just didn't like how mine was practically motionless. I want bamboo shrimp, too, so that was also a motivator.