· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Starting a 90 gallon Freshwater XD

0 Not allowed!
    TO start out, i am completely new at this and if i sound ridiculous dont be shy to correct me please i came here to learn. I am starting a 90 gallon tank and am in the proccess of buying the filters. Now as for fish, i want to make a predator tank. Here are the fishes i love so you guys can help me make it. I love the freshwater sting ray, any type of shark except the red tail its too small. I forgot the name of the next fish but i like to call it the sucker fish the ones that clean the tank. ANd i also wanna throw in some plants. Please help me out !

0 Not allowed!
    How about a Tiretrack (about 2.5') or Fire Eel (2')? You could do a Histrix or Freshwater Florida Sting ray. They both grow to about 15".
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wich one of those fish can i mix?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by omarloco22
    wich one of those fish can i mix?
    Well, the Histrix stingray, Tiretrack & Fire Eel are all semi-aggressive and about the same size, so they should probably be able to do well with each other, so long as you're using sand substrate and have hiding places for the eels.

The Freshwater Florida sting ray is a peaceful community fish, so it would probably get beaten up a bit and stressed out.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Freshwater "sharks" like the Red Tail Shark are not actually sharks, they are cyprinids. That being said, you could do Bala sharks (Balantiocheilos melanopterus) which can get to 12" in length. They like to be in groups so don't just get one. I like Roseline sharks (Puntius denisonii) but they only get about 6" long.

The sucker fish you referred to is most likely a pleco. Some species of plecos get pretty huge (18+") and generally create a lot of waste so if you want them solely for their cleaning purposes, I wouldn't bother. They are also nocturnal so you may not see them much during the day (until they get too big to hide anywhere). That being said there are some very cool looking plecos available. There are many varieties so just learn about the particular species you want before you decide.

Also I just want to say be careful to not overstock your tank, which can be easy to do with these large fish. 90 gallons may seem like a lot of water but the bigger the fish the more waste they produce, and it could require a rigorous maintenance schedule.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Research research research..... That is the best thing I can tell you. Read about cycling a tank, read about the fish you like. Look at your local stores and see what you have available (never buy before researching) and never trust what "the guy at my local store" said. He is there to sell you something he probably knows little about himself. The last X-Ray Tetra I saved was from a aquarium store, and even there I had to argue with the guy that I was buying a X-Ray Tetra and not a Lemon Tetra. It didn't effect the price at all but it bugged the hell out of me that he didn't know the difference and was arguing with me about it.
    Last edited by JayZero911; 08-12-2012 at 07:21 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 severums 2 rainbowsharks and 2 blackfin sharks im my 75g and a pleco along with 2 3 month old oscar fish
    fishguy420

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, altho your tank is 90 gallons, it still is only 48" in length. When you start talking of predators and large fish, 48" really doesn't offer them the footprint they need like they'd have in a 6 ft tank.

You absolutely can NOT do bala sharks. They belong in HUGE tanks that are long in length, they belong in schools and they grow to one foot. You start putting one foot fish in your tank, that only leaves them 3 ft of swimming space. Bala's belong in more like a 300 gallon.

Your tank is tall, not long so beware when talking of these huge fish being mentioned here. Severums are nice fish, don't get nearly as large and are the size fish you should be looking at......not giants in a 4 foot tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-12-2012 at 07:48 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Keep in mind, altho your tank is 90 gallons, it still is only 48" in length. When you start talking of predators and large fish, 48" really doesn't offer them the footprint they need like they'd have in a 6 ft tank.

You absolutely can NOT do bala sharks. They belong in HUGE tanks that are long in length, they belong in schools and they grow to one foot. You start putting one foot fish in your tank, that only leaves them 3 ft of swimming space. Bala's belong in more like a 300 gallon.

Your tank is tall, not long so beware when talking of these huge fish being mentioned here. Severums are nice fish, don't get nearly as large and are the size fish you should be looking at......not giants in a 4 foot tank.
    Oh, I didn't even think of that... I thought it was going to be longer than the 75gal, which is 48" long. I just looked up the dimensions and the next longest tank would be a 125gal, which is 72" long. Did you already buy your 90?

The eels and stingrays are all bottom dwellers, so you'd be better served with a shorter, longer tank.

0 Not allowed!
    A 90 gallon is a 75 with a 4 inches in height added to it. One Oscar would work since it's 18" wide but not a group of fish. If he wants several fish, then he should stick with perhaps 8" fish, not two-footers.

If he starts right out thinking he has a giant tank and will stock it with giant fish, he will be in for a rude awakening because he does not have a giant tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.