· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Hi Everybody

1. Default Hi Everybody

0 Not allowed!
    Ever since I can remember I have always been fascinated with Tropical fish, they would always be the first place in the Pet store I would go for a look. It wasn`t however until four months ago through a (stroke of luck) raffle prize win I made the jump into the world of Fish keeping. The Tank I won is a Juwell 54 ltr with usual Bio system and heater. I have to say since that day the Joy both my family and I have had with a fairly simple set up is immense. I am pretty maticulous with the water changes and treatments and actually enjoy this time getting close to the fish. I observe there behavour and rituals daily, I know its easy to be enthusiastic in the beginning but I can see myself progressing in later years as I gain more knowledge. Its just a fantastic hobby.

I know you guys will be probably sick of reading and answering this question but as a newby I wondered if there was any advise on how I would develop and add to the tank. I want to keep it to around the 13/14 fish which I thiink is a fair number without overloading the capacity. At present I have a small shoal of 6 Harlequins whose slow pace to life I love, 2 Black Mollys who never fail to entertain me and 4 guppies (2 M & 2 F). I believe I could probably go another 2 fish so does anyone have any suggestions on which would type would suit.

By the way I added a second Tank of similar size yesterday which was advertised in my local PO and I got it for a great price so any feedback will determine the set up and content.

I really do look forward to reading and writing on the forum.

Mrpilko (Simon)

0 Not allowed!
    G'day, and welcome to AC!

In my opinion, I would say that your tank is pretty much fully stocked as it is. To just look at the tank, some might agree that you could fit another couple of fishes in there, but you can't just make this decision on appearance. Your Mollies and the Guppies produce quite a lot of waste for a fish of their size, and along with the Harlequins, that's quite a lot of waste for your bio-filter to consume. Plus, depending on what kind of Mollies you have, they can grow from 3 - 5 inches, so they need a little bit of space.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default Hi Everybody

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your quick reply, I think your advise is sound, I had read beforehand that the tank would accomodate 12 - 14 small fish but as you say there will be some growth factor. Is there any suggestions for a nice mix in the new tank I have?

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome!

Have a look through the fishes in this link, and see if anything catches your eye. It's a list of small tetras that will suit a tank of that size. I was thinking you could have a large school of something that you like, and maybe a couple of larger types of fish as centre pieces. You can find larger fish in this link too! Also, don't forget to check out the fish species list here too! They're on the left of your screen, in the menu box.

http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/lis...ion=&activity=
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for double posting.

Rainbow fish are pretty little fish too!

Something like this little guy! Gertrudes Rainbowfish.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those small juwel tanks are a nice way to get started. Lights are OK, filter and heater are pretty good. I suspect you got the Korall 60.

With your current tank. I'd be reluctant to add anything except maybe a few bottom dwellers and that depends a bit on how it's setup (gravel/sand/plants). You may have the room in the filtration but it's already quite full in the middle/top zone with the fish you now have and that will increase when the guppies deliver their first batches of fry.

The second tank.. well.. you got loads of options depending a bit on the PH/hardness you can do. You could do a small south american setup with some ember tetras and a school of dwarf cories on sand. You could get 15-20 dwarf rasboras (boraras brigittae) if you don't mind planting it well and getting some tannines in there. Some cherry red shrimp would do well on the bottom. Rainbows are another interesting option indeed. You could go for a species only and do a pair of dwarf puffers or 3 of the smaller gobies. You could go for 5 bumblebee gobies and a pair of black mollies and do a slow transition to brackish.

Personally I'd be tempted to construct a small hillstream but that may be just a bit beyond your skill level

7. Default Hi Everbody

0 Not allowed!
    Wow... Thanks for the ideas guys, I will pack in some research and let you know on what I decide.