· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ^During the summer even the grocery stores around me carry the dog ice cream.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm, wonder what it tastes like?
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram897
    Well that is a big bummer about the blue lights! They are my favorite. Why do they promote algae?
    They produce the spectrum that algae can use best. I do not know the exact scientific answer. I can tell you that I know from experiance that it is true especially for the red algae types. To restate what I said earlier,if you don't have plants then only run lights for a few hrs while enjoying the tank,if you do that then the blue lights won't be so bad.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I got a Phosphate test today and my tank water was 1.0. I probably should have tested my tap water but just thought of that as I am laying in bed and too tired to do it right now. I have to do wc and scrub down tomorrow so I will test the tap then. So is 1 too high? I am wondering if these are diatoms from cycling?
    When I was at petco, I saw a couple of mystery snails and the sales person told me that they were good for algae and the pictus would leave them alone so I got a gold and black. Hope it works.

I also got the pug his ice cream. It is banana/peanut butter flavor. He didn't know what to think at first but eventually got into it. Funny thing is... It is just frozen yogurt! Why couldn't I come up with a money maker like that?

0 Not allowed!
    1.0ppm is the level at which the phosphates will promote algea growth. An ideal level is 0.05ppm or less.

It is possible for diatoms to grow during a cycle, as you don't do any cleaning, and you're constantly feeding the tank some kind of ammonia source, which in turn raises the amount of nitrates and phosphates. Usually once you get into a really good cleaning pattern after the cycle, the diatoms can go away on their own.

Test your tap water after you get some sleep, and see what that comes up with, and if all is good there, then it might just be a case of increasing your tank maintenance a little. We'll get it sorted!

And it's just frozen yogurt? Wow! I bet someone is making a fortune out of it! But your dog is loving you, so that's all that matters! I would of had a go at the ice cream, but I dunno about peanut butter flavoured yogurt.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the Phosphate in my tap is 0.5. Tested all parameters this morning because it is wc day and
    pH 8.4-8.8 normally 8.2 but definitely darker purple today... Weird
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20
    I will change out 50% later today but do you think I should add anything to the water or filter?
    I didn't see phosban or rowaphos at petco and the people there weren't really "helpful". Are they filter media or water additives?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you used any ph adjusters?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No. I have never used pH adjusters and haven't added anything to the tank since the setup.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram897
    So the Phosphate in my tap is 0.5. Tested all parameters this morning because it is wc day and
    pH 8.4-8.8 normally 8.2 but definitely darker purple today... Weird
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20
    I will change out 50% later today but do you think I should add anything to the water or filter?
    I didn't see phosban or rowaphos at petco and the people there weren't really "helpful". Are they filter media or water additives?
    Those products are a granular filter media. What I would do, is just keep up with the 50% water changes + gravel vacs each week, check the amount that you're feeding your fishes, and definitely start limiting that blue light. I think that you will find an improvement after a short time of putting those things into practice. 0.5ppm isn't too bad really, so I wouldn't try using any kind of phosphate removal products just yet.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good. Did a real thorough cleaning today and took out decor to clean. Couldn't believe the stuff underneath!