· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Already think I have a issue. Emperior angel didn't have this on it's tail two days ago and pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday. Any help on what it is and what to do about it. Kinda worried since I havn't added anything to the tank since I got the fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch, That is a isopod attached to your fish

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=85005

Those are nasty and will slowly kill your fish. You might have to manually remove the isopods from your system but I would suggest trying a parasite treatment first. I would suggest catching your angel and try a medicated dip of prazipro following the instructions on the bottle. If that gets rid of the isopod, then administer two treatments to your whole tank 5 days apart following the instructions on the bottle.

There are two risks you need to be aware of when using prazipro in a marine tank. If you have flatworms in your system, the prazipro will kill them as well and the dieing flat worms can release enough toxins into the water to stress and/or kill you fish. You have to make sure you to not have any flat worms (a quick Google for pics can help you with that).

The prazipro will affect your tank water in one of two ways depending on your equipment. When you use skimmers or HOB filters, it can cause a lot of micro bubbles, and I mean a lot. That can stress some fish so you will have to keep an eye on that. Or, Prazipro will reduced the amount of oxygen in the water so it would be a good idea to have a bubbler running while you have the meds in the tank.
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-11-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff got it right for the isopod. Get that fksh out of the tank and into a seperate qt. The pod is external and could be killed with cupramine but do it in a qt for sure. Isos like that one you have are thankfully not that common so I wouldn't freak about having an infestation in the dt just yet. Be careful if you ma.ually remove the pod,I have read that they can bite through human skin as well.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just looked and now its not on the angel. Gotta find it now

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, thanx for the replies. Was kinda freaked out for awhile

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully after it got a free ride on the angel, the angel got a free meal. but will keep looking for it

0 Not allowed!
    If you re-cure your rock in complete darkness for about 3 or 4 months and replace all of your substrate, that should get rid of the isopods.

The only problem would be that you would need to have some cured rock to add to your tank while your current rock is re-curing. But it might allow you to get rid of the isopods without using any meds. Just another option (all be it a big pain in the backside) to consider if you do not want to use meds

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76703
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    whatever happned here? Would love to see your tank
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(