· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, once you see the rest of the fish, can you give me a expected time that I'll need to be upgrading tanks. I knew eventually I would be adding another, but want to make sure I'm really knowing what I'm doing first. Learned alot just reading thru the forum last night. But also feel a lot dumber reading the posts. A lot more involving than was led to believe. Seems I need to get in the books to make sure I'm covering all bases. Don't want to do this half***.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure about the angels, but it would likely take those two hippo tangs around 2 years (give or take) before they will get up to the size were they could no longer be in a 75 gallon tank. Maybe a little longer. I am basing that guess on my hippo tang growing from 1.5 inches to 4 inches in the first year that I had him.

Also, it looks like we posted at the same time. Did you noticed my last post?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, give me a little time and I'll post my entire setup. complete setup was put together by the dealer ( husband and wife ) locally. From the guys around that have SW tanks, he is the one and only to go to. Unless you wanna risk pet smart shopping.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the run down of all that I have for equipment.

75g tank ( of course)
    Penguin 350 Bio-wheel
    Fluval heater ( 300W)
    Odyssea powerhead Ex-250 ( 250 gallon per hour max)
    Odyssea light with digital timer T-5 lamps blue and white, Blue LED for lunar
    Temp strips on right near bottom and I added one on left near top
    large net
    API master test kit

Food
    San Francisco frozen angel and butteryfly diet
    San Francisco frozen Emerald Entree for all Omnivorous

How's it look so far, Dealer seems real knowledgeable but some "just do this and everything will be good". I like to know the what and why to make sure I am doing the right thing for the right reason. 26 years active duty army, I don't like to "just do something" because.

0 Not allowed!
    I do not recommend using a bio-wheel for your biological filtration. Especially when your live rock will provide all the filtration that you need. However, you could remove the bio-wheels from the filter and use it for flow and for chemical filteration such as phosphate removers and chemi-pure. That would help your set-up to remain healthy. That would be a very good use of the HOB filter.

I would also suggest a skimmer. This will go a long way to help maintain very good water parameters.

I did not see some of the test kits or a refactormeter in your list of equipment. Knowing and managing you levels for: Salinity, nitrates, phosphates, calcium, alkalinity and pH will be important even for a FOWLR set-up. That will help to ensure a long-term health of your fish and set-up along with helping you avoid or minimize problems with things like nasty algaes.

I would also suggest at least one more power head. You system seams to be pretty low flow. Good water flow will also help your live rock filter the water better

The below links can provide you with some more detailed information about the recommendations that I have made

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...nd-movement-2/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ing-saltwater/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...tein-skimmers/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ine-aquariums/

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76398

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=80662
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanx, I'll do some more reading and research the links you posted. I do have a test kit from API ( saltwater master test kit). Do you think with what I have, I should be good for awhile as I figure everything out. I don't want to rush into any uninformed decisions. Biggest thing is to keep the fish happy and healthy for now.
    Question- how do the blue regal tang's sleep at night. Mine both find a corner at night and lay there. they mover around a little but I would think small fish would find a hiding place for the night.

0 Not allowed!
    I would say that is a sound approach. You can take your time before buying any other equipment. As long as your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph are normal, and your doing 10 to 20% weekly water changes, your fish will be fine for a little while. All of my recommendations have been based on helping you with the long-term success of your tank.

Hippo tangs do like to find hiding spots to sleep in. Mine has found a spot between two rocks that he will use. He goes there to sleep or when he is spooked. As the angels will also find a spot in the rocks, your hippo tangs have likely picked a spot away from them them, at least that would be my guess. As long as they are eating and acting normal I would not worry to much about it.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't worry about their sleeping habits too much as long as they look healthy and active during the day...

Everything that Cliff has said has been spot on. My only additional piece of advice is to take the SW guy's advice with a couple grains of salt (the one you bought the tank from) sure you can have all of those fish in there and they may do ok for a while, heck they may do ok for a long time but they will hit a stunted point and not to mention those are 4 very large fish, meaning they produce a ton of waste which means your tank could teeter on the edge of crashing. But just my $.02 take it or leave it haha

On a more upbeat note I like your setup a lot! Very refreshing compared to the typical layouts we see
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick question, How often would you feed this setup. Using frozen cubed food right now. Dealer said two cubes of the two different types every other day. Does that seem right. Fish right now arn't acting like they are starving i.e. trying to munch on the rocks or feeding at the serface or tasting everything in the tank

0 Not allowed!
    As long as they're eating everything you're feeding them they'll be fine
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown