· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Smk Shoe's 75g FOWLR

0 Not allowed!
    First Salt Water tank. Was going to do a 20 gal to get my feet wet but after talking to a couple guys at work and the local dealer in my area. decided on a 75g because 1. larger tanks are more forgiving 2. future upgrade won't be needed as soon 3. won't be quite so limited on amount of fish. tank was set up by the dealer and two weeks later added 6 fish. Two angels, two clown, and two dori's. about 14 inches total of fish so well under the 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fish per gallon. Tank was set up with about 75lbs of sand and about same of rock. One of the larger rocks he pulled from a established tank. Had a couple of early scare's. 1. One of the dori's after putting in the tank spent three hours hiding in the rocks on his side. Figured it wouldn't make it thru the night but finally came out and paired with the other exploring the new tank. 2. at night with only the lunar lights on both dori's will go to a corner of the tank and stay there. 3. the spotted angel fish spent about two hours after eating this afternoon swimming kinda on it's side. Seems okay now but was a little worrisome. I know that there is a little stress on the fish moving into a new tank, but will keep a eye on everyone. decided on the maintance plan for 4 months where the dealer comes out and does the filter change and water change. I'm sure i'll be able to do it later on but having a expert come over ever month to watch do it and have a experienced set of eyes check the tank is worth the money. Will post some pictures in a day or two along with a complete list of equipment.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The inches per gallon rule totally doesn't work for saltwater.

Sorry to say, but having 2 blue tangs in your tank is not going to work. I am VERY liberal about tank size and stocking, and I wouldn't put ONE blue tang in a 75g. It would work for the short term, but I have seen a blue tang outgrow a 180g tank, so one would outgrow a 75 for sure.

If you want a tang, you can go with one of the smaller varieties like a yellow or a kole. Although some folks will disagree, they are definitely a better choice than a blue.
    40g SW

0 Not allowed!
    Good call starting off with a larger tank. That will certainly help make things a little easier for you

I'm just curious as to what you are using for filtration ? As you have 75 lbs of live rock, are you using the filter for chemical filtration ?

Just a word of caution about your spotted angelfish. Most of the marine angels that go by the common name of "spotted angelfish" can get very large most of them well over 12 inches in length. 12 inches is also about the size you blue tang will get as well. Although both of those fish will grow very slowly after reaching about 6 to 8 inches, they will end up getting around a foot in length.

I'm looking forward to see some pic of your tank

And Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I may have been calling the dori's by the wrong name. Dealer I bought them from used that as a common name but also said they wouldn't get over about two inches. Took pictures but trying to figure out if I can post straight to the forum or need to open a photo bucket account.

0 Not allowed!
    Does your blue tang look like the one in the below pic ?

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default first try for picture

0 Not allowed!
    Think I may have it figured out. Playing with a new Imac is killing me, but think I have one of the angels ready
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, just like the one on the right.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking fish

Looks like you have a young Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris) and two blue regal (Paracanthurus hepatus) tangs, sometimes commonly called hippo tangs.

That angel will grow to about 18 inches in length and the hippo tangs to around 12 inches.

You'll have to watch those fish carefully and be ready to re-home them when they start to grow too big for your tank. You don't want them to become stunted. These guys can grow pretty fast up until around 6 inches when their growth rates will slow down, but the will get very large at some point.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is what I hope a picture of the tank and each fish
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    That is a nice looking and very young Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator) in the second picture. He too will out grow your tank as he will get to be about 14 to 16 inches in length. Just goes to show the benefits of doing your own research before getting fish. Now your will have to worry about finding new homes for 4 big fish at some point. You have to keep in mind, most fish store are more interested in selling you fish, and less interested in you having a well planning marine aquarium.

In your original post you have mentioned you were using a filter. I'm just curious as to what you are using for filtration ? As you have 75 lbs of live rock, are you using the filter for chemical filtration?