· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Black Beard Algae ""HELP""

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is about 5 months old and ive just started a BBA problem. Only using seachem flurish 1 cap full 2 times a week and co2 injected ???. I do a 50% water change every friday. I only run my lights 6 hours a day my PH is a constant 7.0 so can anyone tell me what im doing wrong ? and what I need to do.

0 Not allowed!
    Check the CO2. Often(very often, like really really often) FLUCTUATING CO2 levels cause BBA, usually in addition to a few other things.

We have a sticky on it in the algae section I believe.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post some pics. There is a big difference between black brush and beard algae. One is short and bristly and stays under a half inch in length. Beard algae is long,soft and comes off easily.

0 Not allowed!
    And one is a lot, lot worse.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    ^ Agreed with above.

Also, I had a similar thread a while back. This may give you some ideas or help you:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=94742
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    1.Up your light to 8-9 hours, this will give your plants more time to use up excess nutrients that the BBA is thriving on.
    2. Monitor your CO2 like Philiporgami said.
    3. Cut back on your feeding for fauna and ferts for flora, most common cause of algae is overfeeding.
    4. If you can get some water sprite it is excellent in using up excess nutrients in the water column, but it only works if you have high lighting.
    5. Right before your weekly W/C prune as much of BBA affected leaves with out killing your plants, then do W/C immediately, BBA releases spores when messed with.
    6. Be patient. It will take a long time to recover.
    ALL this I have done on my 8 gallon shrimp tank and BBA is losing a lot of ground.

I also had it BBA in my 30 gal community tank. All i did there was 2 things
    1. cut back on my feeding, i was overfeeding
    2. got a pair of True Siamese Algae Eaters.
    two weeks problem solved.

Good luck and do not let the BBA horde break your WILL!!!
    Roll the Dice!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi
    1.Up your light to 8-9 hours, this will give your plants more time to use up excess nutrients that the BBA is thriving on.
    2. Monitor your CO2 like Philiporgami said.
    3. Cut back on your feeding for fauna and ferts for flora, most common cause of algae is overfeeding.
    4. If you can get some water sprite it is excellent in using up excess nutrients in the water column, but it only works if you have high lighting.
    5. Right before your weekly W/C prune as much of BBA affected leaves with out killing your plants, then do W/C immediately, BBA releases spores when messed with.
    6. Be patient. It will take a long time to recover.
    ALL this I have done on my 8 gallon shrimp tank and BBA is losing a lot of ground.

I also had it BBA in my 30 gal community tank. All i did there was 2 things
    1. cut back on my feeding, i was overfeeding
    2. got a pair of True Siamese Algae Eaters.
    two weeks problem solved.

Good luck and do not let the BBA horde break your WILL!!!
    What on earth did you do with the sae after they at all the bba. They don't belong in a 30gal.

0 Not allowed!
    I get a bit of it about every 6 months or so.

Depending on your plants, you may not need that much fertilizer if you have slow growing plants. Fast growers need ferts more than the slow growers that will grow slow no matter what. Perhaps you are giving them the right amount of nutrients that make growing easy for them.

I get in there with my scissors and cut off all I can. (Did that yesterday.) Plants like to be trimmed anyway. I have used Flourish Excel but it's a last ditch move on my part.

What lights and plants do you have? Perhaps you don't even need to use the CO2 if you have the low lights and slow growing plants?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    What on earth did you do with the sae after they at all the bba. They don't belong in a 30gal.
    I still have them. Why don't they belong in my tank? According to AC's descritpion of the fish it says minimum size tank is 25 gal/100 litrers.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I bought an SAE for BBA and all the darn thing eats is flake food.