· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Olive drab moss ball

0 Not allowed!
    I put a moss ball in my 5-gallon betta tank when I started up a few months ago. Other plants are java fern and anubias.

I noticed a few days ago that the moss ball had turned an unappealing olive-drab color (think of an army tent that's been in the sun for a year). I tossed it, since it sort of clutters up an already-small tank anyway.

But I'm curious if anyone has any info on what happened. The ball had grown some since I bought it, and even looked a bit shaggy. Color has always been good up to now.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its hard to tell.commossballs are very hardy but I have had some get ugly in well kept tanks while some I have in a 10 gal with only 3hrs of ligth a week look fine. Do you by chance use excel?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use Flourish, but not the Excel variety.

Label says "Flourish/Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium."

My anubias is looking a little puny, too. The larger/older leaves are fading to a yellowish-green, although green color along the veining is still strong.

0 Not allowed!
    Anubias turning yellow could be a lack of light, although that would be odd if your fern is doing ok. Do you have them planted in the substrate or attached to wood or rock? If planted, make sure they're not buried deep, this can make their core rot.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? Usually plant problems come from an imbalance of light and available nutrients.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suda Nim
    My anubias is looking a little puny, too. The larger/older leaves are fading to a yellowish-green, although green color along the veining is still strong.
    That's magnesium defficency.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Marimo moss balls are low light algae and tend to turn an olive shade if the light is on too much. The only way I know to keep the really green color if you have a lot of light or keep the light on long is to occasionally submerse the moss ball in club soda. The only problem with this is once you do it the Marimo Ball will become harmful to fish and can then only be kept in a plant only tank...
    Pets are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cognizant
    Marimo moss balls are low light algae and tend to turn an olive shade if the light is on too much. The only way I know to keep the really green color if you have a lot of light or keep the light on long is to occasionally submerse the moss ball in club soda. The only problem with this is once you do it the Marimo Ball will become harmful to fish and can then only be kept in a plant only tank...

Plants could survive no problem in 24 hours of light if they are given a constant source of nutrients (this doesnt hold true for a lot of seasonal changes and flowering). If there is too much light and not enough nutrients though, you are right, the plant will melt.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The lighting is a 16-led Tetra fixture that came with the tank (Marineland 5 gallon bowfront). I have it on a timer, 10 hours/day.

I add about half a capful of Flourish (not Excel, just regular Flourish) about every two weeks. The bottle says 0.07-0.01-0.37 under the "Flourish" name. Online listing of composition is here.
    Last edited by Suda Nim; 08-09-2012 at 10:08 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ball needs no nutrients and the culprit for the color is likely the low quality led lights.