· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default After 2 months of long cycling, time for fish.

0 Not allowed!
    So I want to do a community tank. I have a 40g tank with an Aqueon 200 biowheel and an Aquaclear 70 for filtration. Yesterday, I bought 5 sunset platys after my water parameters checked out perfectly. I really liked the coloration on these guys.

Now I'm looking for some other stocking ideas. I know I want khuli loaches for sure and I hear alot of people talking about German/Bolivian Rams. What considerations are there to take for getting any kind of rams? Also I see several people in the forums have ONE gourami, maybe a dwarf type? Will the Rams/gourami get along together if I get one of each? Or can I get more than one ram?

Also any other ideas for stocking would be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Well......congratulations on that cycle! Now you can enjoy that tank finally.

0 Not allowed!
    1. Rams can probably get along with a gourami as long as they stake out different levels of territory.
    2. Kuhli loaches exhibit better behavior in 5 + schools. They will be more active that way and will come out often.
    3.Get a breeding pair of GBRs or bolivians. They are great fish.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    See what those big water changes did after you had sat and looked at that tank for 7 weeks? Five days later you have your cycle and fish in the tank.

That AC70 is new and still needs to grow some bacteria so stock with common sense and do not load the tank with fish too quickly. You do not have a lot of bacteria on that one cartridge in the Aqueon. I would wait about 10 days between adding new stock and test the water a couple times a week to play it safe.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I couldn't find any khuli loaches when i went to the LFS the other day, but I did get 2 Golden Dojo Loaches, and additionally a smaller blue gourami. I really like the coloration on both of these guys and the gourami seemed to be a little shy at first, he/she? just kind of hung around the top corner of the tank for the first few hours, but this morning it was swimming around and attacked the flake food with some good enthusiasm.

Do Gold Dojo Loaches require some greater numbers as well for them to be more active like I've read about Khulis? Will just adding some Khulis now make them more sociable?

So far I have

5 Sunset Platies
    1 Blue gourami
    2 Gold Dojo Loaches

The closest LFS is in the process of moving locations right now so I only really have Petco/smart to go to, and both their selections kind of suck.

A mated pair of rams a lot of people seem to like.
    Does anyone have recommendations on numbers/type of some schooling fish that people have had good success with that could go in my 40g?

0 Not allowed!
    Dojo's don't shoal so 1-2 is fine, I reccomend you stick to the dojo's and forget the Kuhlis for now.Schooling fish-- google "tetras", "schooling fish"' and such and then tell us what you like, to see if it is fit for your tank.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My DG is very shy when he is in a new environment, but tends to get comfortable in about a week or so, and goes all over. Sometimes he thinks he is a black skirt. :)

Look for a middle of the tank swimmer...one school of small tetras or something will be perfect and you will have movement everywhere.

Good call on the gourami...he is a hunter and your platies will give you more fry than you know what to do with without him to thin the herd.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Catfish
    Dojo's don't shoal so 1-2 is fine, I reccomend you stick to the dojo's and forget the Kuhlis for now.Schooling fish-- google "tetras", "schooling fish"' and such and then tell us what you like, to see if it is fit for your tank.
    Why would you recommend sticking with the Dojo's and forgetting Khulis? I've read the Dojos can get up to like 6-8 inches but at $10 a pop everywhere I've seen em, Khuli's seem a little more affordable for the numbers?

I also see alot about Cory cats in the forum, I might look into those guys as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey
    I also see alot about Cory cats in the forum, I might look into those guys as well.

It's because since Dojo's aren't schooling, and you said you already got the Dojo's. It feels like to me you are all set off the bottom feeders.

About the cories: Loaches don't really like fiddling with other bottom feeders.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish