· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New to a Community Cichlid Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize for posting two threads within minutes but I felt this was an entirely different topic then the wall fish tanks. I am also interested in setting up a community cihlid tank. However I have no idea which cichlids are easier to take car of or which one are compatible each other. I have hard water around 8.5. Also am looking at tanks and would like to know a good size for a community cichlid tank. (The GBR thread is for an entirely different tank set up all together.) Thanks
    If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good starting size is 5x18'x18' good starting fish are l.caeruleus [electric yellow],S. fryeri (Electric Blue)

0 Not allowed!
    For your tank, I would go for something around the 75g mark to start with, if you choose to go with the easier going African Cichlids. Go bigger, if you choose more aggressive African cichlids. The larger the tank, the easier it is to look after these.

I haven't had a lot to do with the Central, North and the Larger South American Cichlids, but I would still probably start off with a tank of around 75g.

If you can't afford a tank that big, or haven't got a place to sit a tank that big, you can look at tanks somewhere around the 30g - 50g. In tanks that size, you can look at keeping Dwarf South American Cichlids, or the smaller Lake Tanganyika Cichlids. You can even go as little as a 20g for some Tanganyika Cichlids.

There's so many different kinds of cichlids, and so many different combinations that you can and can't have. So, if you have a look around at the different types of Cichlids and see if something catches your eye first, then it's easier to advise you on what's easiest to look after, the best way to look after them, tank sizes and so on.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering getting a 30-40 gallon tank. I was doing some reading and learned that tanganyika cichlids prefer less acidic water which is perfect. If I do get a 40 gallon tank how many cichlids could I potentially get? I am aiming for small cichlids like 2-3 inches. Also what are some of the most popular tanganyika cichlids? And since most of the cichlids are carnivores would frozen brine shrimp and blood worms work for feeding them?
    Last edited by zolton13; 08-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    With that pH, I would also agree with the Tanganyika Cichlids and tons of tiny caves, like shells or lots of caves from small rocks. Sand bottom as they are sand shifters.

0 Not allowed!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After learning some more about cichilds i think that i am going to go with some dwarf cichlids, and angelfish. I appreciate all of the help you have given me. Thanks

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I too have been reading about Cichlid's myself and thought I would pass this along. I seen someone say that when setting up rocks for hiding spots you should place the rock first on the glass gently then place the sand because the cichid's burrow and move sand and could cause the rock to shift and tip over and hit the glass. Glad I seen that because I never thought of that

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zolton13
    After learning some more about cichilds i think that i am going to go with some dwarf cichlids, and angelfish. I appreciate all of the help you have given me. Thanks
    If you are going to try that combination, then definitely go with no smaller than 40g tank. I'm not a big fan of mixing Angels with Dwarfs, because of possible aggression issues. If things get nasty, your Dwarfs will more than likely come off second best. I suppose it can be done, but you will have to put in a lot of time to make sure that you have everything in place to give your Dwarfs a decent chance. Lots of hiding places and lots of plants.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMike415
    I too have been reading about Cichlid's myself and thought I would pass this along. I seen someone say that when setting up rocks for hiding spots you should place the rock first on the glass gently then place the sand because the cichid's burrow and move sand and could cause the rock to shift and tip over and hit the glass. Glad I seen that because I never thought of that
    Some cichlids are much worse than others, when it comes to digging. I just so happen to have one of the worst!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark