· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default brown algea on sides of tanks

0 Not allowed!
    i have brown algea that grows on the sides of my tank a few days after i clean it every week. what causes this and how can i keep it from happening...
    20 gallon- platies, dalmation mollies, cory cats, red belly x ray tetras,gourami, african dwarf frog

0 Not allowed!
    Normal in new tanks. It's just an imbalance of nutrients and silicates. Wipe it down every few days with a paper towel. It will last for awhile then go away on it's own.

0 Not allowed!
    Diatoms.

As Hobbsy has said, they can start to grow in new and or cycling tanks, and they can go away after a little while, usually once you get into a normal cleaning routine. It can also be caused by silicates, phosphates, high nitrates, and not enough light.

Phosphates can come from your tap water, fish food, and fish poo.
    Your fishes waste is where the nitrates come from.
    And the silicates usually come from a few kinds of sands, that people use for substrates - sometimes it can come from glass.

So a few things you can check.
    1. You can check your tap water for phosphates.
    2. Test your tank water for high nitrates.
    3. What kind of substrate do you have? Play sand?

Things that you can do to treat the problem.
    1. If you have high phosphates in your tap water, then you might have to concider using a product like PhosBan or Rowaphos.
    2. If the tank water is the problem, and has high nitrates and/or phosphates, then you need to do large water changes - at least 50% per week - and gravel vacuums to bring those levels down.
    3. Look at your feeding technique. Are you feeding the fishes too much? Are you feeding them once a day, twice a day, or three times a day? If you're feeding them once a day, then there is a fair chance that you're dropping far too much food in the tank for them to eat in one go. Whatever food isn't eaten will settle in the substrate, rot, then it's producing nitrates/phosphates to build up in the water. I feed mine three times a day - three small serves. This way they all get some food, but it's all eaten.
    4. If you have play sand as the substrate, get rid of it and get something else to replace it with. The silicates can leech out of that sand for ages, and continue to cause these diatom blooms.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok its been said a couple times that it could happen when a tank is cycling...my tank is about 5 moths old. is it possible that my tank is cycling all over again like somethig happened and it fell out of cycle
    20 gallon- platies, dalmation mollies, cory cats, red belly x ray tetras,gourami, african dwarf frog

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    May i ask what kind of gravel / sand u are using? I went the cheap route with silica based sand and ive been plaqued with diatoms from the start. Its possible the cycle has be ended by not treating ur tap water.... But diatoms take a few months to kick in to gear some times.

If like me you have a silica based sand or any silica based orniments ie geodes then you will have to remove them inorder to rid your tank of them.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by danthemanxx1
    ok its been said a couple times that it could happen when a tank is cycling...my tank is about 5 moths old. is it possible that my tank is cycling all over again like somethig happened and it fell out of cycle
    Easiest way to check what's happening is to test your water. Both tank and tap.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    My tap water read 2 in phosphates, which is high. Then I bought playsand for my tank which is silicates. I totally removed the sand after 9-10 months and gave up on it. escamosa is spot on that it might require silicate/phosphate sponges in your filter.

I'm as patient as the next person but it got to be too much work for me.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well i have regular black gravel not sand...also in the tank is 4 live plants 2 fake 1 peice of drift wood 2 small pieces of coral and about 4 rocks. im going to clean the tank now so i will post the testings i get from the tank and my tap water

0 Not allowed!
    I've got the same problem, but it is my plants that are covered. Does API sell a phosphate test?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tank water before wc
    nitrates-little above 30
    nitrites-0
    chlorine-0
    ph-6.2-6.5ish
    ammonia-0-0.5

tapwater before dechlorinator
    nitrates-0
    nitrites-0-0.5
    chlorine-0
    ph-7.8-8.4
    ammonia-3.0