· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The water changes will bring the nitrites down to a more manageable amount that the filter can handle. You do have nitrite bacteria already so I suspect small doses of ammonia daily now will get processed as they should.

I'd like for you to try to bring it down to where you are getting an accurate reading on your tester. Perhaps 2 or 3. At least then you will know they are not registering off the charts.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will do, thanks alot for the help, im gonna try it tomorrow!

Have a great night!

0 Not allowed!
    You, too. We'll get that tank cycled and ready for fish for you like it should be.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, tested this morning and Nitrites were down to close to 1ppm. That was a very quick drop. Wont need to do the massive water change it seems. Even had some ammonia left from last night. Guess its wrapping things up. Awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch
    It would actually be very nice if that were the case.

The problem is that my nitrites are still sky high. I didn't think that the cycle was finished until those reached 0 as well?
    I missed that bit.
    Thanks for the reminder to read all the post before replying.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch
    well, tested this morning and Nitrites were down to close to 1ppm. That was a very quick drop. Wont need to do the massive water change it seems. Even had some ammonia left from last night. Guess its wrapping things up. Awesome.
    That's great. You will still need to do a water change to get those nitrates down when you get your 0 on the two others. Looks like you're be ready for some fish in a couple of days.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Doesn't sound like you need it now but my liquid test kit states that if an ammonia, nitrite or nitrate test is registering off the chart you can half the test and then double the results:

ie:
    Normal test:
    5ml tank water - add full quantity of liquid test - wait - read results

Half test:
    2.5ml distilled water + 2.5ml tank water - add full quantity of liquid test - wait - read results
    Note: As you only really tested half the amount of tank water you will need to double the final value.

This way you might received 5.0 in the normal test (maximum value) whereas the half test might actually read 4.0, but when doubled actually gives you a true value of 8.0.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Soooo...yeah...This has SUUUUUUUCKED

So I get up the next morning and the readings are crazy. nitrites are right back where they were. I don't know why the test earlier stayed at 1..but oh well. Now its insane.

Did a 75% water change... Stayed the same.

did 2 more 40% water changes... still the same

did a 50% and it took longer this time for the readings to spike to no end. Out of frustration I left it alone.

So I got home tonight and did a 60% water change .... still the same... but got closer to a steady readable recording.

Did a 15% and now the reading is a steady 2ppm.

... Im done...leaving it alone...Good lord. Dosed to 1.5ppm Ammonia and I have no idea whats suppose to happen now.

The odd part is that despite the water changes my nitrates are nearing 40ppm.. i don't get that at all. Something seems... off.

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I meant by not having any idea of where your nitrites were and that they could actually be much higher and why I recommended those water changes. I think you will began to see some changes now.

Make sure you always shake those testers before using them, as well, and when the liquid hits the water, allow the vial to sit about 5 minutes.

PS......The water changes ZonkeytheDonkey did worked for him and he now has a cycled tank with fish in it. (In 4 days.) So keep the faith and add just enough ammonia to keep that bacteria alive.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im staying skeptical until I test it again in an hour. I don't know if itll stay at 2 so ill see then. If so then im anxious to see how it ends.

I dosed last night at 1.5 ammonia and found this morning it was only down to 1ppm. I don't know if all is going well or if im just getting false readings. Something feels off. I figured it would be less than that. but oh well.

Thanks for the replies. They have helped a lot with this screwed up process.