· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Pictus Cat with...

0 Not allowed!
    Zebra/glolight danios, rummy nose? They are supposed to get 2-2.5 inches long, and I keep reading wildly different sizes for pictus. And the answer I've read is what's big enough to fit in their mouth. That doesn't help until you find out the hard way. Is there some kind of inch size on what can fit in their mouth anyone can tell me?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    It really depends on how big your Pictus Cats grow. They can grow pretty big - anywhere between 6 and 12 inches. As well as being good scavengers, they can also be very good at hunting down small fish, and they can keep up with the most aggressive feeders. If I was going to stock some kind of Tetra with pictus, I would look at something bigger than the Glo lights and Rummies, and get them in the tank ASAP, so that they can keep growing with the Pictus.

Depending on what else you have in the tank, and how big the tank is, I would go with something like Buenos Aires Tetras, maybe Tiger Barbs. Something around 3" and up.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks escamosa, it's a 125 gallon. I did find these two bits online that might be part of the problem of finding a solid answer...

There are two different types of Pictus catfish commonly sold in pet stores. This is probably where you are getting conflicting information. The other problem is they can be confused when they are small. Spotted pictus catfish only reach 5-6 inches in length. They are more of a social schooling catfish. They do fine on their own, but are definitely more active if kept in a group of their own kind. Four lined pictus catfish reach 8-10 inches in length. They are definitely more of a solitary fish and are aggressive towards most other cats.

and

The Four-lined Pimodella is often confused with its relative the Pictus Pimodella or Pictus Cat Pimelodus pictus. However the Four-lined Pimelodus doesn't have the spotted patterning of the Pictus catfish. Also it is a much larger catfish, reaching about 8 inches (20 cm) in the aquarium while the Pictus Pimelodus only reaches only about 4 1/2 inches (11 cm) in the aquarium.

Maybe I should be asking how big a fish can a 4.5-6 inch fish fit in its mouth?

0 Not allowed!
    So really you need to find out what kind of Pictus you have.

Most of the time, it's the larger more common types of Catfish sold in LFSs. So unless you can find out exactly what type you have, then I would treat them as being one of the larger varieties. Even the smaller variety of Pictus can exceed 6", especially if they have a nice big tank, like you have. A Pictus at 6" will quite happily have a go at snapping up a smaller fish during the night, and if it doesn't eat it, it will leave it in a bit of a mess. Don't forget that some fish, especially predatory species, or species that can lean towards being a predatory species at times - such as the Pictus - have eyes that can be a little too big for their bellies! Meaning, that they'll have a shot at something if they think that they can eat it, whether or not it's slightly too big for them.

Another thing you really want to look at, is how active and how boisterous the Pictus can be. Unlike other Cats, the Pictus can come out all guns blazing at feeding time, so they can really upset the less aggressive/calmer species of Tetras, such as the two species that you're interested in.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark