· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

Default What are the odds?

0 Not allowed!
    So I have been planning my stock in my new tank. I find myself needing a centerpiece fish as I plan 2 shoals. Also find myself looking for a bottom feeder for I don't feel like 6 cherry shrimp will be enough. (I know I'll end up with more) I may have just killed 2 birds with one stone, provided I can fine this fish. So my question is what are the odds of finding a reliable supplier of L183 Starlight Plecos?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    That's Ancistrus dolichopterus. 2nd or 3rd most common species. Since they breed easy in captivity you shouldn't have any issues. Not too expensive either, I'd expect to pay 10 euros for a good sized adult.

PRactical points, it needs a well established tank with some algae and shelter. IT eats algae and veg and algae wafers. It's not a magic tank cleaning solution. Also, these usually do NOT do well in the gaudy gravel/plastic plants type of tank, finer substrate with real plants and shelter is what they enjoy. Some wood is also advisable.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    Also, these usually do NOT do well in the gaudy gravel/plastic plants type of tank, finer substrate with real plants and shelter is what they enjoy. Some wood is also advisable.
    sounds perfect thank you vary much

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, these usually do NOT do well in the gaudy gravel/plastic plants type of tank,
    I find this hard to believe. Can you find some scientific evidence to support this statement. There are naturally occurring bright and gaudy colors throughout nature including the lakes and streams our fish come from. Don't get me wrong, I prefer a natural tank as well, because I believe real plants add to the health of a tank, but I just don't see how bright colors are going to stress a fish. In fact searching for evidence that your statement was correct I found an article stating the when given brightly colored threads, the male three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus), made better nests and courted the females more. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...03347212001716 This doesn't seem like stressed behavior to me. I'm not saying you are wrong, just asking you to point me in the right direction to some scholarly articles to read about it.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sticklebacks but also pike and perch are well known for their interesting responses to bright colours.

I was trying to be a bit diplomatic. It's not bright colours that are a problem, plastic plants are only a minor problem. It's just that these things tend to be favoured by novice fishkeepers, the same that keep their tanks very bare and densely stocked. Ancistrus needs a tank that's a bit ripe, some wood, some pebbles, a few places to withdraw discretely, a relaxed cleaning regimen when it comes to window algae, a filter that's not reset every 6 weeks because someone yanks out a cartridge and plugs in a new one.

Let's put it differently. If fish were humans then corydoras are a group of bubbly teenage girls, always bouncing around and happy to try a new fast food outlet every day. Ancistrus are more the sedate, carpet slippers, gentleman's club and bread and butter pud for desert and sleep it of in an overstuffed armchair in the library type.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I was trying to be a bit diplomatic.
    Fair enough.

Ancistrus needs a tank that's a bit ripe, some wood, some pebbles, a few places to withdraw discretely, a relaxed cleaning regimen when it comes to window algae, a filter that's not reset every 6 weeks because someone yanks out a cartridge and plugs in a new one.
    This is worth repeating, and thank you for the clarification.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK.. pfwew, glad I didn't piss anyone off.

Just to be clear, they like their furniture but like any other fish nitrite/ammonia needs to be 0 and nitrate can't be too high. Quite a bit of dissolved O2 and a mild to moderate flow are also appreciated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    38g tank has 50/50 gravel and sand, 2 HOB filters and a sponge filter, going to plant live plants for the first time, and finally I need to find a larger bit of driftwood and ditch the fake stuff and plants that are in it... think I put them in just cuz I had them and the tank was bare lol

Now there mite be a problem with finding a briselnose starlight pleco L183.... granted I have not looked at my LFS's yet for just this guy, but it is starting to look like there vary common in Europe...... and not so much in the states, again I haven't been out to just find this one but I do not recall seeing them before last night.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it is relatively easy to breed. What's that site where people sell fish. Aquabid?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I looked there. I'm sure I can find it on some major sites but being as I live in Az (110F today) I don't really want to do anything in the mail even in winter. I think I am going to go ahead and get a Farlowella Catfish or a pair cuz I can get them local. Its that or a few albino bristlenose plecos.... and off topic I found Goby Dragons in walmart of all places... wish I had the tank space lol.