· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Another BP Breeding Season!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I started a breeding thread last season for my Ball Pythons and it got alot of feedback, so I figured I would do the same this year. I had two females ovulate this year and am expecting eggs as early as 3/2/2012. Here is an ovulation picture of my most anticipated clutch of the season. She is a 50% Possible Het Lavender Albino bred to a Double Het Lavender Snow male. If she proves out, I could get Lavender Abino 50% Het Axanthic hatchlings!

I'll update as things progress!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "She is a 50% Possible Het Lavender Albino bred to a Double Het Lavender Snow male. If she proves out, I could get Lavender Abino 50% Het Axanthic hatchlings!"
    So these are different varieties, correct? And since this snake doesn't look albino, I assume you mean she has a 50% chance of albino babies?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    So these are different varieties, correct? And since this snake doesn't look albino, I assume you mean she has a 50% chance of albino babies?
    Lavender Albino is a color mutation/morph of the Ball Python (Python regius). The Lavender Albino gene happens to be a recessive trait which means in its heterozygous form will appear visually normal. By breeding a (het x het), (het x visual), or (visual x visual) you have a given chance for the lavender gene to be passed on by both parents...Giving you a Lavender Albino.

Since our girl is 50% PH for Lavender Albino, this means one of her parents was a 100% het carrier of the Lavender gene while the other parent was not. Long story short, she is either het or she is not. That is what we are trying to prove out. If she IS a het...With this particular pairing, we have a 25% chance of getting a Lavender Albino.

Hope this helps?
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Thats a great looking snake. How much do they usually go for?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue
    Beautiful!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    Thats a great looking snake. How much do they usually go for?
    Thank you!

If she proves to be a Het Lavender Albino...A proven breeder female would be worth about $1,500 to $2,000. The Lavender Albino offspring would be worth about $4,000 to $5,000.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Any guess-timations on how many eggs you can anticipate from a snake of her size?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    Any guess-timations on how many eggs you can anticipate from a snake of her size?
    I palpated her and felt (4) eggs. This is usually fairly accurate. I have another female that i'm expecting (8-10) eggs from.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I remember following this thread last year. How many different breeding pairs do you have? Aeon already got my question answered at about how much the eggs are worth. Do you breed them and then sell them, or keep the offspring to breed again?

Is it a bad thing that I remember the terms you used when explaining the recessive traits? I remember how that system works, it's the same way with human eye color, hair, etc. Still cool nonetheless Can't wait to see this batch of eggs!
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have about 29 snakes right now, 24 of which will eventually be part of breeding projects. This year I paired about 5 males/females and only two seem to have taken, there is still some time left in the season though.

That's good that you remembered the BP genetics! To be honest I don't know much about how human genetics (eye color, hair color, etc) works. I would imagine it's very similar though. IF we hit on the Lavender gene and it's a male, I will likely sell it. IF we hit on the Lavender Gene and it turns out to be a female, she will NEVER leave here! We're up against pretty big odds though...Fingers are crossed.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii