· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Oscar tank mates

0 Not allowed!
    I just started a cichild aquarium. I have two blood parrots and one oscar. I wanted to add another type of cichild but dont know what would work with both. I like red jewels, jack dempsey, Gold severums and black belt cichilds but dont know if any of them would work. I would appreciate any help. I dont want to sacrifice fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Two questions for you:

A. What size tank is this?
    B. Is it cycled?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    55 gallon. yes it is cycled.

0 Not allowed!
    You can not add anymore fish. One Oscar should have 75 gallons.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks,

Personally, I don't think a 55g tank is big enough for a single Oscar. Much less one with company. 75g is the minimum I could suggest a solo Oscar be in.

When full grown the O will barely be able to turn around in there.

Being a large messy deeply bodied fish I hope you have filtration for double the tanks volume at least.

How big is the Oscar now?

EDIT: NINJA'd By LH
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest returning the Oscar and instead getting a Severum. This will save problems later or force a bigger tank on you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the oscar is 2 1/2 inches. I just got him from the pet store. I know they grow pretty big. I Cant return it unless its dead. Just the store policy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you plan on keeping the Oscar for his entire life you will end up being forced to upgrade, especially if you keep him with the parrots. But you can keep them in the current tank for probably a year at least, just keep an eye on him. What are you running for filtration?
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, So it doesn't go back to the store. But that doesn't mean he can stay with the parrots in that tank.

They also grow fast, Are you aware that [If healthy] he is going to be nearly three times the size he is now by new years and the parrots are not going to be able to defend themselves or get out of his space if he gets territorial on them [Another issue with smaller tanks].

Also, The O is far more aggressive than the parrots & IMO you will have issues before a years time and it's not 'if'.. It's 'when'.