· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Jack Dempsey follow up question

0 Not allowed!
    Wanted to add a few more cichlids to the 46 bowfront with the juvenile Jack Dempsey. A cichlid enthusiast at my local LFS suggested that I start with a couple firemouthes of similar size. We added 2 and it's been 2 days now, the Jack won't stop chasing them. Will they eventually learn to get along, or is this a doomed situation?
    120gal rectangular (freshwater)

46 gallon bowfront (breeder tank)

5 gallon hexagon (office desk tank)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty much doomed, I think. Any fish doesn't just stop chasing fish (unless they are only establishing a pecking order). JDs are known for being aggressive, and generally are kept alone in a smaller tank like yours. You will likely have to remove the firemouths...

If you check out the species profile for JDs, you'll see what is recommended for their care...
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/jackdempsey.php

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Beautiful tank! - gabbyguppy   I love that show - Pele   Thanks for the nomination, and recognizing fine art when you see it  :-) - Cliff   I give these to friends only. - smaug   For my comments on your betta, but no way was I buying you one, even on AC ;-P - ScottishFish   

0 Not allowed!
    +1, a 46g bow is big enough for one JD, and that's it. You'll have to be careful with even one, depending on how big he gets, he may even outgrow it himself when full grown.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I'd definitely upgrade to a 75 or 90 in a year or so. That's not a problem. If it comes down to it, I'm going to have to get rid of the Jack. We want a full cichlid set up, not a tank with 1 fish in it. Sucks.
    120gal rectangular (freshwater)

46 gallon bowfront (breeder tank)

5 gallon hexagon (office desk tank)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your kind comments on my photos - Mbuna   An Old Marine needs more gifts - ScottishFish   Beer always taste better with family. Cheers Devil Dog. - Gogi   Thanks for helping me with the reps for a Gold star! - Cermet   Have one for your tank aswell!! Glad you liked mines!! - ScottishFish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Old Marine   

0 Not allowed!
    It is sad thst some of the best looking Cichlids, are just down right MEAN

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    He might eventually get so big and lazy he'll ignore the tiny little firemouths.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find snow and ice gifts - Lady Hobbs   burrrrrrr - Lady Hobbs   please post pics of your 10 hejuta. not many people on the forum are keeping nice predators like those. - Crispy   So sorry about your critters! :( - Rue   you are severely low on penguins :P - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    You could try adding a group of buenos aires tetras or giant danio's in there.It could "distract" the dempsey.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in agreement with others about the JD not stopping the chasing. It will only get worse as time gets by.

If you want more than 1 new world cichlid, especially non-dwarf varieties, think about going to a 150g or 180g.