· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by isaactifist
    Whats the reasoning behind being opposed to returning a recently wild caught fish back to the wild? Am i missing something?
    Yes,

A. How about NOT returning any of the nastys [viral, bacterial or fungal] that are in the tank to the wild with the fish.

B. It may or may not be legal to take them in the first place and the same goes for re-releasing them.

Yes Willie, Apparently you do need to write it up.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No sure about the pond bit. Koi and gold fish depending how big they are may try to eat the catfish depending if they can get it in to it's mouth without the spikes Harming it.

The only thing plants help with is removing nitrates from the water. Keep doing what you are soun and do plenty of water changes. There are additives you can put in the tank to help it cycle and yes the ones I use do work. The most common one is tetras safe start. The other Is Fritz Zyme 700. It's roughly $25 for a 4oz bottle. Pricey but worth it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    post a pic?
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my other hobby is fishing,do you know how big flatties get, i catch them around 40 lbs all the time... they will take down a 2 foot koi, turtles, frogs, snakes.. it will be the only thing in the pond before it is over... trust me

ps flatties get BIG if they can get to 70 + on there own in the wild, it will be huge in a non-threatened pond...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do not lesson to them when it comes to releasing. It was probably illegal anyway to keep a wild catfish for a tank unless you have a DNR fishing lisence.
    There's far worse woes in nature right now then ANYTHING you could possibly put into the "wild" from a wild caught fish (just be sure to return where you found it) Asian carp for example are invading the great lakes.. Flat heads are native fish.

its better to release your fish. You obviously cannot care for such a large catfish, I'm asumming you don't want to or cannot shell out the millions of dollars it would take to have a tank big enough. and I think its best for everyone involved if the fish is either killed or more mericfly released. The river/creek has everything the catfish needs, millions of gallons of water, live food,ect,ect and if it gets eaten that's nature

You've already broke the law once ( assuming you do not have a Lisence) anyway.
    As people have told you this isn't a fish to be kept in aquariums. They are better off in the wild.