· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Switched to CF

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

Default Switched to CF

0 Not allowed!
    In my too small MiniBow tanks the hoods take those long lightbulbs and only put out 15W and 25W of hot incandesence light. Today I decided to try to get a compact floresence bulb in there and sure enough the little 13W ones actually fit and the light is SO nice and bright! I just love the way they look now.

I did have to take out the plastic bulb cover and the metal reflector from the top of the hood but there's enough clearance to keep the bulb away from the hood and more ventitation so hopefully there won't be so much condensation inside the hood.

Does the plastic blub cover have to be in there?
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    as long as no water "jumps up" (like when you have bubbles and as they pop water flies up) then it wil be fine.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

0 Not allowed!
    Be careful with condensation and water as tropfish stated. Also be careful of heat dissipation as the ballasts may have a hard time with the different bulbs. That is what I am finding with my 10 gallon hood and CFs.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about the minibow system, but I have mini CF bulbs from Coralife in my 10g tanks. Great little things, they have their own built in ballasts, screw right into the socket for the incandescent bulbs and work great. They are a bit on the pricey side though, about $20 CAD a pop.

I have the 50/50 10w bulbs in one tank which provide 50% 10,000K daylight and 50% actinic blue (each) and have the 6,700K full spectrum lamps with color-enhancing phosphors in the other tank.
    A Grumpy German Is A Saurkraut!

0 Not allowed!
    When i bought my 10g starter pack, it had those cruddy incandescents. Somwhere on AC, there is a thread with pictures of the cruddy bulbs, and with CF 6700k, so you can see the difference, and it IS amazing, isnt it?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    When i bought my 10g starter pack, it had those cruddy incandescents. Somwhere on AC, there is a thread with pictures of the cruddy bulbs, and with CF 6700k, so you can see the difference, and it IS amazing, isnt it?
    I'm very pleased with my mini CF bulbs (both the 50/50 and 6700K). Gives the tanks and fish a very clean appearence.
    A Grumpy German Is A Saurkraut!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

0 Not allowed!
    The CF really lights up my betta tanks beautifully. I think they are working pretty well so far. There is some condensation in the hood but not on the bulbs. I hope they keep working well because I really don't want to go back now that I've seen how much light helps the look.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    i am eventually oging to buy some flourescent bulbs for the 5g and 10g. turn them into mini planted tanks. i'm gonna get thme at lowes for 3 bucks for like 6 bulbs. 13w each.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta